Owner History

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Denest

How does one research a boat history?  Diane and I have finallized the purchase of Whisper and we've moved the boat to it's new home at the Baltimore Marine Center.  It's a 1988 model hull number 680. 
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Gary Ambrose

Hi Mike,

Congratulations !!  If the boat was a documented vessel you can go to the US Coast Guard web site and search by boat name or documentation number.  All previous owners as well as previous boat names will show there.  The name and hailing port can change but the documentation number always stays with the vessel regardless of owner.

Gary Ambrose

Mike,

This is the URL for searching by boat name. <http://www.st.nmfs.gov/st1/commercial/landings/cg_vessel2.html>

If you have the documentation number it is a different address...use google and search for vessel documentation number.

Stu Jackson

Try this:

http://www.c34.org/owners-database/1988-3.html

If I recall, the boat may have been previously owned by the gentleman who actually started this webiste.  That's good news.  Did you ask the PO?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Denest

Thanks for your replies guys, I looked at your recommendations and found that hull #680 (now Whisper) was Kokopelli, Juliana, and Dreamworker but I do not have the name from the first owners.  #680 is listed in the owners database but there is no owners name.  Anyone know?  It was a documented vessel at one time.  I believe that dropped off between the two previous owners so we have renewed the documentation.  I'd also like to update the database, can that be done?
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Stu Jackson

Mike

There is WAY more to this website than just this message board.  Go to www.c34.org.  Click on the left side index Database, and follow the directions.  This is NOT a real time function, and our associate webmaster, Ralph Caruso, assembles them and reposts every once in a while.

While you're at it, with your vintage boat, check out the earlier Projects and all of the FAQ from the main web page.

Also consider joining the C34 IA - click on Join. :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mike : If you're looking for the first owner you might try calling Catalina and see it they might happen to know.  They can tell you to which dealer it was sold. 
Back in 1988 there were 3 Catalina Dealers on the Chesapeake - Trail & Sail in Richmond; Backyard Boats in Alexandria/Annapolis and Harbor Yachts in Norfolk.  There was also Fairwether Marine in Delaware.  I believe all of these dealers are no longer with Catalina except the one in Norfolk. 

Of course that assuming that it was sold in the Chesapeake Bay area.  Good luck.    :wink:

PS: You might also think about joining the Chesapeake Bay C34 Fleet 12.  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Denest

#680 was originally sold to Alvin R. and Cynthia W. Blank by Hampton Yacht Sales and Service, Inc. on 2/19/88.  They documented the boat with the USCG but there is nothing more on the title abstract.  Right now, we are in the process of redocumenting the boat and moving it from the BMC transient slip to BMC's yard for the winter.  That will give us some time to completely go over the boat and learn where everything is. I have a membership application to  the Association and will hook up with Fleet 12 real soon :D

I've been through most of the C34 website and found the database so I'll post some updates there when I have some time.  Diane and I are looking forward and very anxious for some fun times on the bay and meeting with other C34 owners. :thumb:
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD