GPS software

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

I have a Garmin GPS 75, a slightly old model that doesn't do maps (afaik) or other fancy stuff, but works fine.  I went to Garmin's web site, and was pleased to discover that they still sell accessories even for discontinued models, so I bought a new swivel mounting bracket to replace the old one that broke, and a data cable.  

Now I want to upload my track data from the GPS to my computer, so I can print out the cruises I take.

I am looking for recommendations on GPS charting software.

Thanks

kenkillian

I have Maptech's Chart Master which is their low end mapping software.  It works, but I have not been very happy with it.  I talked to their rep at the boat show and he suggested that the newer and better packages are much better.  I think Chart Master cost about $60 so I don't have a lot invested in it.  Give me a direct email if you want to know more.  We keep Puff in Everett. :cool:

Fulvio

I bought GPS-Communicator (about $70), but the main setup floppy disk was missing from the package :rolleyes: ).

I also tried this shareware program called "GPS Utility", downloaded from http://www.gpsu.co.uk/.  Like many shareware programs, it lacks some of the UI polish of commercial programs, but it actually works and has a lot of features. It would be cool if there was a way to also download charts for free somewhere.

I'll let you know what else I find out.

cholder

Various software for use with GPS units is available at Peter Bennett's site.  Try GARDOWN for a simple but very effective was to download and upload routes, waypoints, etc to Garmin GPS units.

Ken Juul

What is Peter Bennett's address?  Does he also have software that will work with a Megellan unit?  I printed some maps from  http://navigator2.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm Haven't tried to down load them yet.  They were very helpful getting into and anchoring in the smaller rivers and creeks off the Chesapeake.  magnified them before printing so they were easy to read.  Matched my 2001 chart book so I feel the accuracy is good.  I didn't have a color printer available, so my copies where b&W.  Made interpreting a bit of a challange.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA