Keeping Warm

Previous topic - Next topic

PLKennedy

Although it seems it just started, here in New England the weather has already started to turn.  Soon we will be sleeping on the hook with the temperature in the fifties.

I recall having a portable heater on my Columbia 30 that looked like a big aluminum can.  I think it was catalytic.  Today, I wouldn't use one on a bet.  But, what's the solution?  We probably won't use it more than ten times a season, so having a heater built in, using diesel fuel seems impractical.  Something portable, and, of course, sufficient and more ventilation.

Peter

jentine

We have been using an Espar heating system for ten years on the hook and dockside during the really cold winter months in Connecticut.  We often stay on the boat during the winter (Jentine is winter stored in the water), even when the temperatures hover near zero.  The fuel usage is less than one gallon per day.  The heater has more than paid for itself over time.

Stu Jackson

From previous discussions, my understanding is that the Espar can also heat hot water, which makes it a great choice for those who like a warm morning shower.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

c34member

For occasional warm-ups while you're awake, put a ceramic flower pot upside down over a stove burner.  A word of caution: try it at home first.  We had one once that apparantly had an air bubble in the clay.  It shattered, sending very hot shrapnel all over the galley.

Now we're spoiled and have electric ceramic heaters on the inverter when we're out, and a 18,000 Btu reverse-cycle for when we're on shore power.

cholder

We've used an Espar D5L for about 8 years in the Pacific Northwest and found it very effective.  The D5L is a forced air furnace and we have outlets into the aft cabin, head, main cabin and forward cabin.

Espar also makes a water heater that will also head the domestic water.  It has forced air radiators at each heated location.  The big advantages of the water heater version is that one gets hot domestic water and the holes one has to drill are smaller since you only run heater hose through the boat.  The disadvantage is greater cost.

If you opt for the forced air version you can buy relatively cheap aluminium ducting or accept the PAP (paper aluminium paper sandwich) ducting the vendors will offer.  I've found the cheaper ducting works well.