Balmar 912-75 and Universal 25xp

Previous topic - Next topic

captaingary

Check out the mechanical sending unit with the electrical adaptor. The West Marine # for the sending unit is 100794 for 71/2" depth up to the 100877 for 22" depth. The electrical adaptor for it is West Marine # 100893. The advantage is that the resistor that is what normally fails is outside the tank (the electrical adaptor). I replaced mine with this model and has worked perfectly for years.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

s michel

Ron:

Thanks for your time and effort at the Sail Expo, Ron. You answered my questions concerning low engine RPM on my 1987 34 Catalina. It appears that it probably is an over pitched prop.
Many thanks.

Steve Michel

Tom Glennon

Ron, I find this info interesting, in that I contacted Catalina regarding the crazing of my fixed portson my 1987 #354, and if they had replacements at Catalina.

I was informed I needed to provide measurements/drawings, as they had "many" different types.  I did provide a detailed drawing 2 months ago, and still haven't had a reply.

Just thought I'd add that.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Tom Glennon

Ron:

Thanks for your reply... I probably will get the replacements for my ports locally (Boston area)

Although, there are no frames... only the smoked acrylic.... and I did send a drawing to Catalina with the dimensions written in it, as they requested.

I guess the problem I am sensing with Catalina is they seem to be uninterested in the older boats... when I had my Catalina 30, I seemed to get better responses... or perhaps I'm just more eager now with the 34... afterall, she is a much sweeter boat!

Happy sailing!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

SteveLyle

I sent Catalina both starboard ports, which they used as patterns to make the replacements.  Took about 2 weeks, counting shipping.  Price was $212 total, or about half of what it would cost me to get them done locally.  They new ones fit perfectly.

Stu Jackson

...is Lanocote, by Forespar.

It's brown, it's guncky, it's more expensive, it lasts and it's (sometimes) harder to find than Vaseline.

So far, it's also worked.

Ron's advice is well taken, and with the complexity of our boats, it's well worth reading ALL the material that has ALREADY been published.

And, (I couldn't resist this one), the SEARCH engines on this website are really useful.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Krawford

Thanks for the info, guys.  I assume the boat must be out of the water to do this properly.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Ran139

Ron,

Fair weather and follwing seas!

SteveLyle

I'll second that.

I'm putting the wraps on the August Mainsheet right now, but the deadline isn't until 6/20, so there's still time to get published.  Think how good it'll look on your resume!

What we'd like to do is orient the Mainsheet Tech Notes column to upgrade-type articles.  This board really meets the need for most of us for the quick answer to maintenance/repair kinds of questions, but the Mainsheet format is great for more in-depth "how did I do it" kinds of articles with sketches and pictures.  We could then use the articles to keep this site's Project page refreshed.

All of us have upgraded our boats.  Many of you have done unique things, or did them in unique ways.  Take some pictures, write up how you did it, what the benefits are, etc., and send it to me.  We'll put it together, you'll look good, and you'll be contributing to this community and enhancing your sailing investment.  You'll feel better, lose weight, live longer.  It's reported that your love life will improve as well.  Just do it.

Regards,
Steve

kss1220

Ron,

Excellant point!  Those of you that have done this procedure what did you do with the remaining fuel left in the tank.  How do you dispose or use the fuel.  Environmental laws as they are make this more and more challanging as time goes on.

Stu Jackson

I Sooooo Enjoy This

Folks,

This material has been covered so many times it almost hurts me to remind you.

The issues are BASIC to the C34s and have been covered in great detail.

So, now I will conclude my usual discussion of using the search engine, and suggest that we all spend some time rereading the entire website before posting any new questions.

OK, how'd ya'll guess I'm on vacation?

We're in Vienna, Austria, and will return in a few weeks, but sure enjoy continuing to keep in touch.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

jentine

Take the oil home and pour it into the heating oil tank.  If you don't have one, donate it to a neighbor.  If you don't have one of those, the possibilities are endless.
Jim Kane

Mark Wey

Ron

Great topic again. Being I have a vintage that is more than 10 years old. I think I will heed your advice. When you removed and cleaned the fuel tank. Were you able to get into all of the corners and around the baffles? How big was the access opening? What kind of sealant did you use to reseal the openings? Is there anything else that could/should be done now that I have the tank removed? Extra room I guess.

PS: I had to reply to this topic using a quick reply at the bottom right of the message. I was not able to use the full function reply. Access was denied! any ideas? Mind you I am not sure what the difference is.

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

sail4dale

This discussion hits close to home.  My Cat30 had a pick-up tube with a screen in the tank end.  Naturally it clogged when we were double handing motoring into a 20+ knot wind. :mad:

After about 2 hours with my head in the bilge I found that $%#%#@$^^ screen that Catalina neglects to mention in their manual.

It came out!

I'm a hydraulic engineer and one truism that I've preached and taught in my classes is:  NEVER use a filter that cannot be inspected (preferable easily)!

I sugest that evryone inspect their pick-up fuel tubing and remove any screen in it.  Then have a inlet filter (Racor is great -  I worked for Parker Hannifin for 33 years) between the tank and the fuel pump.

Mike Smith

Great tip, Ron.  I've been thinking for some time now that we need an area on the Website devoted to "Common Tasks" (things such as you just described) - things that are too small to include as a Project, but are performed across projects or mentioned frequently on the discussion board. For instance, "Rebedding Stanchions", "Hand Crimping Fittings", or "Using a Torque Wrench", etc.  What do you think?

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com