1990 Catalina 34

Previous topic - Next topic

kmsailing

We are looking at a 1990 Catalina 34, the survey is this Friday.  I wanted to see if there is any particular problem area that the surveyer should look for.  It is a Standard Rig Fin Keel with the 30 horse engine.

Thanks in advance

Future Catalina 34 Owner

Kelly Martin

Stu Jackson

Kelly

Good luck, you can't go wrong.

I recommend you read the "Why we bought," and "What to look for" sections of the FAQ.

Go to:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

I have hull 1090, also built in 1990.  If you have any specific questons send me an email or PM. 
Where are you going to sail?  I wish I had the 30hp engine.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Kelly : The best thing that you can do for yourself, is to accompany the surveyor as he looks at the boat!!!! 
From what I've seen of surveys, it's difficult to interpret the written word.  If you have any boating experience you can ask questions as items are pointed out.  Then you can judge for yourself the degree of severity of that particular item.  From the write up alone you'll have to guess!! 
I have seen too many people BURNED by a shoddy survey and conversely a nitpicking writeup that mixed major problems in with small blemishes. A thought.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

I've got hull 1110.  I love my C34 and would not trade her (except for this Najad I've been looking at......) for anything!  I agree with watching the survey, mine was less detailed than I would have liked but at least I was able to ask lots of questions.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stephen Butler

We have owned our 1990 C34, #1023 for a couple of years now, and would highly recommend the boat...sails like a dream, great and comfortable for cruising with 2, reasonable maintenance, very easy to work on, and an absolutely wonderful support organization.  Also agree with the advice to accompany your surveyor...you will get an amazing amount of insight into your future boat, while getting a "better" survey.   Just find someone that knows C34s.   As an aside, our boat was in Marathon for Wilma, and is currently laying against her neighbor with part of her rudder gone, and some other as yet unknown problems...so we too are going to need a surveyor and soon. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jim Price

We are second owners of our 1991 #1119 and have had her for 3 1/2 years.  She is standard rig, fin but has the M-25XP engine; but power has never been an issue (no currents / tides on the lake).  She sails like a dream, very nimble and quick to respond with the fin, points very high, (if you can't outrun them, then go straighter), fast and comfortable.  Don't know if your boat has the walk-thru transom but if it does, you will really enjoy it, even in the cold Northwest.  :clap

Listen to the other "pros", stick with the surveyor, ask lots of questions, be dumb and if your get "know it all" answers, you might need a better surveyor.  Make sure he inspects all the places that are hard to get to, especially hidden hoses, wiring, etc.  Catalina has had pretty good bottoms so if it has been cared for, you should not see much there, maybe some minor blisters.  Look for a good , smooth surface.  That is the way good Catalinas should look, even after 14 years.

Good luck on you your new "baby".
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA