Low Transmission Fluid

Previous topic - Next topic

Footloose

I just changed the transmission fluid on my boat.  I was shocked when I found less that 1/2 pint of fluid that was almost black.   :shock:I have no way to tell how long it has been this was as the boat is new to me as of this past spring.  What are the thoughts as to how robust this transmission is?  It is my understanding that the manufacturer is out of business.  I have filled is full for winter storage I didn't see any leaks when I was there, but will check again next week.  There were no chips in the fluid and the transmission worked well this summer.  Also, are there any good methods af draining this down in the spring.  I have been thinking about placeing a tube in the fillerhole that is the same length as the full mark on the dipstick and then sucking or siphoning it out until it stops.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Steve S.

It's impossible to tell if you damaged the tranny or not.  If its still running smoothly, and you didn't put too many hours on, you are probably OK.  As far as draining a filled transmission, I got myself a large turkey baster, and then fixed a flexible hose at the end of it.  Then a measured the correct distance and placed a tight fitting rubber grommet on the hose.  Note that you measure the transmission oil while the dipstick is NOT screwed in.   So, the correct distance is from the bottom of the threads to the indent on the stick.  When I drain my tranny in Spring, I just stick the hose in unti it hits the grommet and keep suctioning.  One last check with the dipstick and your good to go.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

David : The Hurth HBW 50 transmission that's attached to your M25XP is very robust.  The Hurth Co is still in business and making a number of transmissions.  I've known of an owner that never even checked his in 13 years (I have no idea why?!?). I've written this up before, but here it is again:  

It takes almost a quart of fluid to fill the Xmissin for winter/extended storage.  That's important to fill it up as the front seal is high and dry (because of the engine tilt) and could dry out.  In the spring before launch, I suck all of the fluid out of the Xmission.  In a jar that I've premeasured, I fill it to that mark and add it to the Xmission.  
I've never used the drain plug, as the case threads are aluminum and the plug threads are a steel alloy.  That washer on the plug is a "crush" ONE time washer.  Easier to suck the fluid out than bugger up the treads, purchase another washer each time I do that, plus - I don't have a leak & don't want one.
When you get the correct level, suck out the fluid into a glass jar and scribe it with a hacksaw.  Then you'll know how much fluid to add after you suck out as much as you can get out.  As I mentioned in a Mainsheet article - the best way to determine the fluid level on the dipstick is to roll the stick on a clean paper towel.  That way you can see the stain.    :appl
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have to agree with you, Ron, that sucking the fluid out is the better option althogh I did use the drain plug this time.  It is difficult to get to, at best, and getting something under it to catch the fluid while removing the plug is even harder.  Experience is everything!
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain