Moisture behind cushion in front of ice box area.

Previous topic - Next topic

willie

First of all I would like to say hi to everyone. This is my first post.
I just purchased my first sailboat  :clap 1713 2005 Catalina. Love this site!

I have noticed moister building up behind the cushion right in front of the ice box. It makes sense to me why this is happening, its because of condensation. How ever if I allow this to continue it will mold. I leave my fridge on all the time because I live aboard.

Any Ideas? Has anyone else had this problem?

Jim Price

Since I have a 1991 and not exactly sure of the construction location of the ice box with regards to the space between the box and the settee back on your model.  Once in a while I get a very small amount of moister under the cushion but as my box is converted to a refrigerator, I had expandable foam added to all sides of the box under the cabinet for insulation.  I also keep the boat very dry inside with air conditioner or dehumidifier in winter.  

You may solve or reduce the moisture issue by increasing the insulation between the box and the settee back.  There are several products you can use, you have to decide which is best for your location or installation.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Willie : Your fridge is leaking "Cold" which is condensing.
Not too sure about your MKII, but the MKI has a piece of teak between the sink and that cushion.  I installed piece of 1/2" double foil-faced styrofoam (contact cermet) just below that teak that covers the fridge on that side.  I also used foil tape to seal the side and bottom edges.

That was part of my "beefing" up the insulation around the fridge.  It stopped the condensation in that area.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788