cutlass bearing and new windlass

Previous topic - Next topic

charles kaufman

I have two questions; Is it difficult or even possible to replace the cutlass bearing on my 1986 34' without pulling the shaft ? I am also thinking of replacing the factory manual windlass with an electric and wondered what has worked best for other folks. I noticed most new windlasses have a direct feed thru the base into the locker which would be difficult for my windlass location  on the foredeck just aft of the locker. Thx

Ron Hill

Chuck ; Yes, you can change the cutlass without pulling the shaft.  
You should however, inspect the area of the shaft that's inside the cutlass for wear.  I found that mine (bronze) was worn and scored, so I elected to replace it with a stainless shaft.  All you need to do, with the boat out of the water is remove the 4 bolts that couple the flange to the Xmission.  Then slide the shaft aft 6 inches and inspect that area.

On removing the cutlass, first inspect the strut and determine if yours is pressed in or held in with allen screws.  Most C34's are pressed in which is what I suspect you have.  Many boat yards have a special tool that will squirt the cutlass out manually or hydraulically.   With the tool it's an easy process only taking minutes.  Then the tool will compress the new cutlass back into the strut.  

The new cutlass should be a "Blackfish"  1" x 1 1/4" x 4 " , if you have a 1" drive shaft (which I suspect you have).

On your windlass, there have been NUMEROUS posts on the How To.  Also listed in projects.  The first year C34 with an anchor well made for a windlass was 1989.  Most of the people with an earlier boat have mounted then just aft of the anchor well, with the motor extending into the Vberth.  The PO, not the factory probably installed you manual windlass.  Good luck on you projects!!    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788