Fresh water pump won't turn off

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster1358

My fresh water pump won't turn off even though all of the valve's are turned off.  I have to turn off the switch to get it to turn off.  the water is pumping, but the pump sounds a bit louder than usual.  I think I have air in the system becuase I drained on of the fresh water tanks.  I have since filled both tanks and have openend all the valve's (head, galley, shower on step) and run the pump, but when I turn all the valves off the pump keeps running.... any idea's about this???

Stu Jackson

When you say "All the valves are turned off" I assume you mean the "faucets."

It sounds like there is a failure of the pressure sensor system on the pump, could be from debris in the water from when you emptied your tanks, or a leak somewhere.  The Shurflo Manual for my pump indicates that what you have is a leak somewhere either in your lines or an "internal pump leak which allows water to escape from the high pressure area back into the low pressure inlet area causing the pump to cycle." (Model # 2088-423-344: $115 in WMP, page 509)

You can either:

1.  Open up the pressure section on the pump and clean it out and check and check for leaks in your system (hose clamps - could be one loose - like electrical, connections are important in a piping system under pressure or to thru hulls).  If the pressure switch is faulty, you can buy a replacement - see WMP page 509 - 2005 catalog - for service kits)

2.  Replace the pump with an identical pump

3.  Replace the pump with a newer pump system that has a built in accumulator tank so the pump cycles less frequently - these are newer models and cost more.  Also see page 519 for "Extreme" Series (two different models)

You haven't mentioned your hull # or boat's year, so it's a little bit more difficult to answer your question more specifically.  Please let us know that info, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Ambrose

I have experienced the same problem. I did check all the hose clamps to eliminate an air leak. The real problem was a blocked filter screen on the pump intake. Because water was unable to get through, the pump continued to run in the attempt to pressurize the water lines. Shut off both water tanks flow to the pump then you can open the intake filter on the pump and remove the screen for cleaning. Most likely you're hot water tank will have residual pressure to clean the screen off in the sink.

Ron Hill

West:  If the faucets are not leaking and all of the hose clamps are tight, you've got a problem with the pressure regulator in the pump itself.
It probably has a piece of "junk" stuck in it because you have too course a filter in your drinking water strainer (SEE MAINSHEET ARTICLE on same topic)
I found in the past that the pump manufacture would replace or give you a $$ break if the electric pump worked .  Give your pump manufacturer a call and talk to them - tell them your problem.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

westcoaster1358

You were correct my filter was clogged.  thanks!!!

this board is the best!