Holding Tank Stench!

Previous topic - Next topic

jpaulroberts

I'm sure this has been covered before and I have read about old hoses, etc. But my problem is only when I pump the head forcing smell out of the tank vent. It is getting really bad! I have pumped the tank out, put chemicals in, etc, but it smells like sulfur big time. Any suggestions?

RV61

Jerry,
I was having a foul Odor issue in the Galley sink  and ice box drains and used  flushed about a quart of white vinegar thru and the odors were gone.
I did this two weeks ago and still no problem. Do not know if it would work on the head application but would cheap try to flush the vinegar thru the head then flush with fresh water and pump out. Just a thought.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Jeff Kaplan

there are 2 products on the market made bt raritan, sold a boatus and wm and i'm sure many others. they work. one is called clean potties, cp, and the other ko, kills oder. ko goes into the holding tank via head pump. cp is put thru the head and keeps the smell of seawater from stinking. as i completely rebuilt the entire sanitation system last fall and finished this spring, things smell great.  there is a web site, head mistress,by  peggy hall, who gives all sort of great advise. switch the sink drain with the shower drain. install a shut off valve in sink drain. keep closed when head is being used. at end of weekend, or when ever you are leaving boat for a while, close head seacock, fill sink with cp/ water mixture,open shutoff and draw mixture thru head. no more smell. i keep a gal. mixed. the ko is used when waste going into the tank. e-mail me with any questions. hope this helps. good luck...jeff kaplan #219
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

I sent Jerry a copy by email of the original post by Peggie Hall that used to be on this webiste in FAQs.  It was removed since she wrote her book.  You can find the book on the www.catalinaowners.com site, and I understand it's available at West Marine now.  For anyone who's having head odor problems, it's the ONLY good reference source that's trustworthy and useful.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."