Tufted topper

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

Has anyone tried the "tufted topper" which is a cover for the mattress designed to enhance the comfort of 4" of foam? Is it worth it? Can you bend it easily to gain access to lockers under one side of the bunk? Anything else I should know about this product?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Steve S.

Not sure what a tufted topper is, but we got egg-crate pads for both the fore-peak and the aft salon.  They are just foam pads that are indented (hence the name) and can be easily cut with a scissors to match the odd spaces.   The difference is notable, I can sleep a full night now without my arm falling asleep (I see the irony in that sentence, but you know what I mean).  Plus, as they are foam, they dry quickly if wet and can be compressed for storage.  They can be had at any ordinary department store like Zellers or The Bay.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Marshall Tonner

We have the tufted topper and had to modify it slightly to keep it from shifting during the night. It's held in position with elastic stips at each corner and I tend to shift around a lot so we added some more to help anchor it. We also purchased their custom sheets which we really like!Top and bottom sheets are one piece, sewn at the foot and fitted over the cushion so it stays put.
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II

RV61

John,
I saw the Tufted Topper at a Strictly Sailshow and yes it is bendable. To me it was similar to a high end matress pad. The admiral and I decided to use 4" foam cut to demension of V-Berth and then customized to fit a nice mattress pad. Not sure if she started with a king or queen size matress pad then cut to size. The cost I believe was less then half of the topper and felt this arrangement would be more comfortable. I sleep beeter on the  boat then at home.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Michael Algase

Not sure how expensive these are, but we did a similar thing with a local mattress manufacturer.  I took the V-Berth cushions in to them, and they made a "Pillow-top Conversion" that slid over the top.  Had it in less than a week.  Side material hangs hang down 4" so they get held between the edges of the cushions and the cabin liner.

Price before tax was less than $200, and made a huge difference in comfort. :thumb:
Michael Algase

Tranquilizer
'86 # 91, SR, FK

sailingdolphin

We bought the King size memory foam topper for the v-berth and cut it to fit.  The comfort difference is amazing.  It was only $69.00 @ Target
Doug and Donna #171

Mark Wey

Any updates on the Tufted Topper?  Sleeping on the boat  is not the best experience. Any other ideas?  :sleepy:

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. Love the new  web format! :clap
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Jon Schneider

"Tufted Topper" is a pretty decent product.  It adds a nice level of softness to cushions and they do an excellent job of providing templates to make for foolproof measurements.  That said, I suspect that you'll be just as comfortable buying "memory foam" at Target or Wal-Mart for about a third of the price just as comfortable.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jack Hutteball

We started with a king size egg crate foam pad that I cut to fit the forward V birth.  It turned out to be less than satisfactory.  We then purchased the "tuffed topper", they were great to deal with, it fits perfectly, stays in place, and we get a good nites sleep.  They are pricey, but we think we will get the value out of it.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Robert Mann

While not a Tufted Topper reply, we have been looking for spring type mattresses for the vee berth of our 2002.  At the Annapolis show we saw the ones fitted to the Catalinas on display and after doing some price shopping at various suppliers we called Catalina.  The prices were better there than at any one else we could find. 

Anyone have any strong feelings about the factory supplied pieces?

Roc

Bob,
I recently called Catalina about the v-berth mattress cost and it was over $1000!!!  That seemed like a lot.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Robert Mann

I think the Catalina price is $300 - $400 below the traditional mattress manufacturers, and made to fit.  I agree the price is stiff but at the end of the day (night!!) my back and 4" foam are on opposite ends of the feel good spectrum.

Bob