Fouled Fuel Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Woo

My family and I went on a week's cruise in Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds in North Carolina last week.  The diesel engine conked out half way from Bear Creek to Ocracoke.  This has happened before and I replaced both the fuel filter in the fuel-water separator as well as the second stage filter on the engine. (I have now replaced both fuel filters 3 times in the past three times since I bought the boat in May, 2001!)

To make a long story short, I finally concluded that the tank itself had so much algae/slime sediments that it was clogging the fuel intake line even though I have been putting anti-bacterial additive to the diesel fuel with each new filling.

The dockmaster at Anchorage Inn Marina, Ocracoke, suggested getting the tank cleaned out and re-filter the diesel fuel before pouring it back into the tank by a professional.

Has anyone successfully cleaned out his diesel fuel tank?   I am thinking of removing the fuel gauge and stirring up the inside of the tank with a brush and then pumping out the stirred up mixture of fuel and sediments into a big vat and then filtering the fuel before pouring the diesel fuel back into the tank.

mitch brown

Paul-

Out here in CA. there are companies that come to your boat and "polish" the fuel. It involves running a hose into your fuel tank and pumping it out and running it through a series of filters to clean and remove all the impurities. I had it done several years ago when I was having problems with clogged filters. From what I remember it was a little costly, but worth it if you are having to replace your filters all the time. I think it was less money if you take it to them to have it done. One benefit is that they do warranty their work if you have a recurrence.

Mitch Brown
Sea Vu Play

captaingary

I had the same problem a few years ago. I had the tank "polished" as they call it and the fuel cleaned and replaced into the tank. It totally solved the problem and was well worth the $200 they charged for it.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA