Fuel overflow

Previous topic - Next topic

john meyer

This is a new topic regarding fuel overfill and consequent overflow - I dealt with the problem sometime ago by replacing part of my fuel vent line with clear line.  I have been opening my port aft lazarette and watch when fueling.  As soon as I see fuel in the line, I stop filling.  It's worked pretty well except I have to be quick and I also have to burn off some fuel as the clear portion of 5/8" tubing is right next to the vent.  I am readdressing the problem by adding a Racor fuel/air separator in the vent line.  I'll still keep a piece of clear tubing between the racor and the fuel tank.  The reason I'm throwing this out is that these separators have been placed on E - Bay.  The seller told me he has about 14 and will be placing them up for bid, a few at a time.  I was able to pick mine up for less than 1/2 of West Marine's price.  Also, in just reading the Catalina 36 forum, there is a thread on the same topic.  The web site is mentioned for fuel whistles to know when you are full.  The web address is www.fuelwhistle.com

Ron Hill

John : The fuel whistles and other such overflow item tend to get clogged with diesel residue (after evaporation) and stop working!!

The best way to gage the # of gallons you need is to calculate fuel consumption using time.  For the M25 use .45 gal/hr and for the M35 a higher rate (maybe .6 gal/hr).

Another heads up while refueling is if the fuel nozzle won't fit in the filler hole you've probably got a hi-speed pump, so be where when you pull the trigger.

The C34 is nice to refuel as the overflow vent (on the MKI) is less than an arms length from the filler neck.  I'll fill to about 3/4s of the # of gallons that I need with my right hand.  Then take a 1-2 minute break to let the foam go down.  Then in my left hand I'll hold a fuel diaper over the vent as I add the remaining 1/4.  I can usually hear when the fuel is coming up the filler hose.  The diaper acts as a just in case.  To be truthful (on spillage), I'm more concerned about my boat than the environment.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

John, hope your fridge is still workin' and you beer is still cold.

I just don't understand how the addition of a Racor Fuel/Water separator in a fuel vent line helps to stop over filling, and leaks.  Could you explain the concept?

Ron's idea is simple, and is just what we do.  I didn't get the idea from him, we started doing it that way because it's just so logical.

Why complicate the situation?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

john meyer

Stu, the fridge works and the beer is cold.  Like many in this group, I had to replace my charger and at the same time I redid my batteries with 4 golf carts and one dedicated starter.  It's been great for 2+ yrs now.  As to the fuel, I too base my fuel needs on hours of engine time (my 2nd fuel sending gage is marginal at best).  However, beyond estimating the needs, I still like to top off so as to minimize  condensate. Unlike Ron, I fill my  fuel with 5 gal cans and consequently cannot fuel and stand at the stern with an absorption rag over the vent at the same time.  Placing the racor fuel air separator in my vent line will catch any fuel that gets up into the vent line, either by thermo expansion or fuel overflow.  That fuel is caught in an outer container and gravity fed back to my tank.  Air, through a trap mechanism, continues to flow freely.  As to leakage, 99% of the time, there will be no fuel in the vent line or the separator.  But if there is, the fuel line attachments are the same as the rest of our lines -  Double hose clamps.   Even though I'm not a tree hugger, I really do care about our water environment (especially one I may be swimming in)..

Ron Hill

John : What I failed to mention is that I probably refuel by jug over half of the time.  I always carry that full jug onboard at all times.  Many a time the wind is such that you can get "pasted" against the fuel dock, so I just refuel by carrying it - 5 gal is too heavy and the 2 1/2 size jug stores easier.
With 4500 hrs on the engine, I've done a bit of refueling and the fuel consumption of .45gal/hr has never failed.  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Sailor Vic

I ordered a Racor fuel/air separator on eBay as John had done. Received it right away (testimonial that the seller kept his word)  and it looks like an excellent product.  

Seems like a great idea and I'm looking forward to installing it.

Vic

"Letting Go" #1688
Alameda, CA
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.

Ron Hill

John : I just reread your thread.  If your clear line replacement is not rated for "fuel" (specifically diesel) you'd better keep an eye on that line for deterioration.  
A better solution would be to insert a short section of glass tubing in a fuel rated line, rather than use "water" rated clear tubing.  :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

john meyer

Ron, point well taken.  I've been swapping emails with a guy at Boat US who brought up the same point.  I previously assumed, since the clear tube did not have fuel in it (except for short periods of time), that I'd be OK.  I realize now that the residue could cause deterioration.  I'm currently searching for the right piece of Pyrex glass tubing.  Thanks.

Sailor Vic

I finally got around to installing the Racor fuel/air separator yesterday. :-)   "Better late than never" I suppose. :-)

On my MKII it only took about 10 minutes to install.

I placed it in my port lazarette and one can easily see it when opening the lazarrette.

The location of this small fuel expansion tank is maybe about 3 feet away from my diesel inlet and so that is really wonderful because should I have miscalculated my usage, etc (hopefully I'll never do that but I'm human) and accidentally overfill I will immediately see that before a spill can occur.

It looks like an excellent product, a great idea, and the body is clear.

It has to be installed vertically and on the MKII is actually perfect due to the location that I placed it at.  It came with a 90 barbed elbow fitting and so it fit perfectly. 

Only negative that I can see is that it came with 4 stainless clamps but the worm screws were not stainless and so I installed my own all (totally) stainless clamps instead.

Vic
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.