Autopilot wiring

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

I am thinking of installing a Simrad wheel pilot in Surprise.  In the aft cabin I looked at the panel covering the pulleys for the steering system and I did not see any wires coming out.  There are a chart plotter, depth sounder, knot meter and wind speed indicator at the helm.  The wires must run somewhere in order to get over to the circuit breaker panel.  If anyone has found the routing of the wires from the pedestal, please let me know.

Thanks,

:clap
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

Vic

Start from the other end of the wires and trace them back.

I just helped a friend install a Simrad WP32 (I think that was the model #) on his C34.  One of the tricks is to find the "right" place to mount the terminal box.  He chose to put in underneath the helmseat, a bit starboard of the middle.  He ended up with the wiring exposed in cockpit, but he has grates in his cockpit and ran the wire underneath the grate.

Looks like a nice unit without the operation hassles we've heard about the ST4000.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Vic : When I mounted my wheel pilot (the predecessor to the Simrad).  I used a "Wet Plug" with the male on the wires to the motor/heading indicator head and the female (power) mounted on the outside just below the aft lazerette hatch.  
A thought, if your unit is able to do that.   :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Vic Suben

Thanks for the suggestions.  

The Simrad is a nice unit.  I installed one on my Catalina 30 that I sold a few years ago.  I was very pleased with autopilot.

Vic
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ron Hill

Vic : My Navico (predecessor to Simrad) has worked flawlessly for 18 seasons.  Last year the belt broke and I bought a Simrad belt replacement-exact same length/size.

My only regret is that at the time, I didn't purchase the remote; so I could steer from a lounge chair on the for-deck!  Not too sure that the Simrad remote will interface. 8)
Ron, Apache #788