Headroom

Previous topic - Next topic

vriceflyer

I am 6' 2" tall.  Does the 1989 through 1998 C34 have enough headroom for me to stand up straight and be comfortable.  We are considering looking for a C34.  Thanks

Ron Hill

Virce : Think you're OK at 6'2" in the main cabin - just don't wear hi heels. :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

vf

You may have seen this:  http://www.c34ia.org/faq-pages/faq.html

Why we bought and What to look for in a C34.

Sorry, headroom just wasn't one of them.

Some older boats have handrails in the overhead just port of the galley.  Ours does, and when another, taller owner came on board, he banged his head on that.  (He also had his OWN C34 with no hand (grab) rail.  Same environment, different details.)

After 11 or 12 years of the C25 "stoop" I'm still working on standing upright on Aquavite, and it's been 7 years already!  I'm 5-10 and rapidly shrinking.

Any way you can get aboard a C34?  That will surely answer your question.  Even if you have to duck a little, you do have the choice of removing the grab-rail and installing a vertical stainless steel post at the port forward corner of the galley.

Now - there's another new Project!

Hope it works for you, keep us posted, we're here to help.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

I've got an 89 and I'm 6'5". I do have to stoop a little. At 6'2'' you should be ok except for the grab rail area.
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Rick Johnson

I'm 6'2" and have a 90 with a mast pulpit.  The nuts on the ends of the bolts are a problem (everytime I get in a hurry) but otherwise I just clear.  I'm a little anal about headroom and I've got no problem with the 34, I'm sure part of it is the amout of light which makes it to the cabin.  Just makes the cabin feel taller and roomier inside.  Just my 2 cents.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

RON SCHERER

Im 6ft 1in and I do real well down below. Do yourself  a BIG favor tho. Do not I REPEAT DO NOT get in a big hurry standing up in the aft berth. Thats the only place on the boat that can really hurt you.  :cry4`

Paul Bosquet

I am 5'7" and I feel sorry for you tall 6 feet plus guys, because headroom is rarely a problem for me and being kind of short make everything look a lot bigger.
I did live aboard an Ericson 25+ for 4 full years and it was great well maybe a little tight but it was not really an issue.
Just a thought
Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

richard razgaitis

This is EXACTLY the question I had when I bought Phusikos.  I am 6'4" and ended up buying it (#1690) without ever having gone down below (long story).  In my bare feet, by the galley area and below the companionway I can stand up exactly straight, just brushing the roof.  In the main salon, just a little hunch is required, which I no long even realize I'm doing.  In the forward cabin, the hunch is more noticeable.  As to the aft cabin, you're bascially wearing it, not standing in it.  I really wanted to like the 350 as that has outstanding headroom; but I'd rather do a little hunch below in a 34 than play badminton in the 350.  Also, I was able to have a custom dodger/bimini that gives me full headroom, all the way back from the companionway (perhaps 6'6") and still have ample space between it and the boom.  So even under full canvas, there is plenty of stretch out headroom.

sail4dale

I'm 5' 18" and after  18 years on my Cat30 the headroom on my 34 is much better.  No, I can't stand up fully inside but I've developed a slouch that keeps me from bumping my head more thatn twice per cruise.

Also for the "morning stretch" I open the hatch in the main cabin and really stand up!!

What is expecially great is that this is the first boat that both my wife (6'0")and I can sleep in the forward berth. :clap
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

John Langford

Amen brother. That forward berth is the best there is!

I have the grabrail just above the nav table and at 6' 4" I have knocked my head on it more times than I can count. Have many folks removed it? I think I could live without it but it is hard to recall (especially after bumping my head on it so often) whether or not I have depended on it in a lumpy sea.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S