Garhauer BB Jib Cars - Dropped Bearings

Previous topic - Next topic

dprice

In the process of sliding on a new set of Garhauer BB Jib cars, 6 ball bearings fell out of one of cars.  

Is 6 an insignificant number or do I need to put them back ?

If they need to be put back, any suggestions as to how ?

I thought I had seen this mentioned in a recent posting but I have been unable to locate it.

Thanks

Ron Hill

Un : Send that car BACK!!  They'll reload the bb and your cost will be the postage and embarrassment!!   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

i had the same thing happen when i was installing a new deck organizer. you can send the car back or, i just called garhauer and they sent me a bag of bearings, easy to install. your call. good luck...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Guys : Apples and Oranges!  
Jeff's sheave ball bearings were in ONE place - around the sheave.
The ball bearings for a car that's rides in a track are in two places - the top(whiteBB) and the bottom(tanBB).  You can try doing it yourself, but don't think I'd try it - when all you have to do is send it back and the factory will reload it!!!  
Good Luck.   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

dprice

As a follow up.
Garhauer recommended that the bearings to put back in.

On the EZ Glide Genoa Car the bearings are only in the bottom race.  This makes it much easier to attempt a reinstall as you only have to keep an eye on one side.

Since I was in possession of the bearings that fell out, I slid the car back on to the small piece of track it shipped with, inverted it and was able to put the bearings back in.

6 more fell out removing the car but I was more successful sliding the car back on when complete and this time I lost none.

If anyone has to do this themselves, the bearings are not packed tight.  There is approx. 2 bearing width of space after all the bearings are installed.  This is as per Garhauer.

Jeff Kaplan

good job, i knew that if you had a little skill, patience, and a dummy tract, you could reload the car, as i have done both cars and sheaves. that is why my last post was " your call". it would have been definitely easier to send back the car to gauhauer, but if you can do it yourself, do it.  good luck...jeff kaplan #219 sedona sunset
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Thanks for the information.  I'll put that in my data bank.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788