Oil coming from the air filter

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Roger : It's been posted many times, but lets try once more. 
The piece of foam from Universal is about $15 to $20.  You can go to a fabric store and for 99 cents buy enough foam for 5 lifetimes.  Cut it to size and sew the ends together - that's what I did 15 years ago.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Ron:

Any chance you have better pictures of that fancy beer can of yours than the B&W ones in the mainsheet article in August of 1990?  I can't quite wrap my head around it, but I'm tired of the oil drip. :)

Mike
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ekutney

I replaced the standard air filter with a unit from K&L shown in the pic.  I also installed a JPEGS oil separator inline with the vent hose which I routed to the air filter.

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

KWKloeber

Why do y'all 34-ers add an oil separator? 
We (many/most 30-ers) have had the crankcase breather connected KISS directly to the air breather (just like an auto PCV) for 30 years.  No muss no fuss.
Are you reusing the captured oil? <wink>
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ekutney

I added an oil separator because I had an issue with a diesel generator while overseas that would not turn off at one time & it was because of excessive blow back from the crankcase.  In that case an oil separator was added to prevent it from happening again.  I added one to my C34 as a preventative measure which as you say is not needed, just in case.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Steve Hansen

I like your set up Ed. I have an air oil separater i am going to install and have a k and N air filter already installed. How did you fasten hose barb to filter top, and at the crankcase brass elbow did you fasten a brass nipple? Mine is an elbow with a threaded end. Next project to get rid of lingering crankcase smell.
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

rmbrown

I had a better look at mine this weekend and it's clamped to the air filter but has always been free to drip straight down on the engine bed.  I see several good solutions for keeping things clean in this post but my concern is that I'm just now seeing this drip and I've run the boat for 3 years and maybe 150 hours... why am I only seeing it in the last 40?  How much oil is normal and why did mine just start dripping!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Geoffreykwright

The foam around the outside of my air filter has long since disintegrated.  A friend told me it did not serve much purpose.  I saw the earlier posts around getting some fabric from a fabric store (rather than sourcing one from Universal).

Question - is this piece of foam around the outside necessary?  Also - is there a danger with flash-point of the fabric?  Thinking some fabrics might catch fire if the temperature in the engine compartment gets too high (and/or if there is any oil on the cloth).

Thoughts?
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Take the coffee can to a NAPA store or a small engine/mower shop and they'll fix you up with the replacement. Or buy some foam in sheets for cut to size and glue the ends together.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ekutney

I cut a small hole in the rubber top of the K&L filter & screwed the nylon 90 deg fitting into it.  Should be almost zero pressure since it is motor air intake.

Used a brass 90 deg adapter threaded at one end barb on the other.

Was a big improvement in getting rid of engine odor.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke