Hit and Run

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Was sleeping at anchor yesterday morning.  Had just come out of a deep sleep.  Hear a loud bang.  Wake up thinking the v-berth hatch had slammed shut.   It was open, looking out through it I can seen an anchor and mast off our port side. 
Now I'm thinking we dragged and hit another boat or had run aground.  Run into the cockpit, look around.  Still in the same spot we were in when we went to bed.  Look off the port side and there's a 40+ sailboat motoring away from us.  Run up near the bow and look over the lifelines, doesn't look to be any damage.  Look back over to the boat, still motoring away.  Notice a bare boat chartering co. name along the boom.
I couldn't believe the guy didn't motor back over and say sorry or, any damage.  My wife thought maybe he didn't realize he hit us.  I said even if he didn't think he hit us,  wouldn't he think it was odd that just as he came close to hitting us I happen to pop on deck at 5:30am.  And maybe he would stop and say that was close or sorry almost hit you.  Not turn around and motor away.
Plan on calling the charter company today just to give them a heads up.

Stu Jackson

Sorry to hear.  Happened to me in SF Bay a number of years ago.  At anchor, just finished dinner, still a tad light out, guy had spent too long in the yacht club bar...  He was apologetic, 'cuz he couldn't leave because he'd run his damn bow up over my gunwale starboard side midships and was still stuck there with my lifelines curled around his anchor.  His insurance paid.
Good luck finding the asshat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."