Two head questions

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulvio

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
  • Toilet bowl brush ;)

• Head sink faucet/shower head
    The shower hose (that you pull out of the sink faucet fixture) is all oxidated and really unattractive.  It's still functional, but I would really like to replace it.  Unfortunately, the fitting at the shower head end is different from the normal shower hoses you get at the hardware store, so I'm having a hard time finding a replacement.
    Has anyone replaced either the hose alone, or the hose+shower head combination with one that fits?  Where can I find it?
Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Roc

Fulvio,
We have a smaller than average toilet bowl brush that sits right between the pump housing and wall behind the toilet.  It's white so it blends into the surroundings of the toilet.  I don't remember were we got it, but it was probably a kitchen/bath chain or walmart.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Paul Woo

I would think you can store it under in the cabinet under the sink.  Take care not to bump against or to put too much weight against any of the thru-hulls.  My nylon seacock thru-hull is cracked and apparently has developed a very slight leak already.

Paul

Fulvio

The shower in the head has only been used a couple of times, and each time a significant puddle developed in the cabin right underneath the head door, from water splashing out from underneath the door, or seeping down the sides of the door.  I think I am going to need to use it more often in the future, so I'm trying to seal the head door.  I applied a 3/16" thick, 3/8" wide closed cell foam strip to the sides of the door, and that seems to fit perfectly.  The problem is the bottom edge.  The gap is not perfectly even - there seems to be a slight angle - so that close to the hinge (right) the gap is just a tad wider than 3/16", while at the other (left) end it's almost twice as wide.

Also, because of how the edge of the bottom of the doorframe is shaped, any gasket that is only a bit thicker than the gap between the bottom door edge and the frame will get unstuck while closing the door.
I'm going to try with an open-cell foam strip, which is softer and maybe will resist.

I would be glad to hear what others have done to eliminate water puddles outside the head door when showering.

Thanks for the replies re: toilet bowl brush.  The unstated problem is that, without a "caddy", you are just leaving the brush on the floor behind the pump housing, which is ... well ... unappetizing.
I like the idea of the under-sink cabinet, though.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Roc

Fulvio,
The smaller brush I was talking about does sit in a caddy.  But you make a good point about leaving it near the pump housing.  I think even with a caddy, water will seep in it and still leak out the unappetizing stuff.  Maybe attaching the caddy on the back side of the door under the sink.  This way you don't have to worry about the seacocks.  You open the door and there it is ready to use!!

Roc- ;)
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

hdevera

I have had a similar problem.  I believe you can solve the problem by turning on the shower sump before you start the shower.  Don't let the water accumulate on the head floor.  If you get a puddle outside the head door, you'll have to take up the floor boards because it is likely that water has accumulated underneath here also.  It could lead to the boards rotting.

Hal
Equilibrium # 1554

c34member

We have a small brush in a plastic holder that we keep behind the long, narrow door.  No problems yet.

bjmansfield

you can order replacement parts for the Sanvik shower at West Marine.  They have a complete parts catalog for Sanvik.  I had to order a new hose a couple of years ago.  

For water puddling outside the door, the first thing i would do is take up the teak/holly panel right outside the door and thoroughly seal the bottom and edges so water can't penetrate it.  

After doing the above sealing, we now just place a folded towel along the door/teak panel junction.

captaingary

As far as the water coming out from under the door, I got a rubber molding from home depot and attached to the bottom of the door. It works very well. I also put linoleum in the area from the galley across to the head. I ordered it from Catalina and it is the same material they have added to the newer Catalinas. You can look on the Catalina WEB site and look at the pictures of the new Catalina 34 interior. The linoleum looks very good and solves the problem of things being dropped in the galley as well as thinks being dropped down the companionway.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

JulesIvan

I have found that if the shower sump pump is run frequently/continuously the puddles do not show up

Ron Hill

Your fauset/shower fixture is made by Grohe.  ronphylhill@erols.com ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788