Missing limber hole?

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I recently found a little water on the forward side of the bulkhead supporting the forward berth. I then noticed that water was collecting there because there was no limber hole joining the forward compartment to the central bilge area. Therefore, if the forward water tank sprang a leak, for instance, the water would rise up to the level of the small inspection hatch in the bulkhead supporting the forward berth and run across the sole before hopefully spilling into the bilge aft of the mast step. There is a limber hole visible at the aft end of the mast step.

Are all the Mark IIs like that or did my forward limber hole get lost when the bulkhead was being tabbed in?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Roc

John,
My MKII is the same way.  Water will collect there with no access into the bilge.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike Smith

Breezer Mk I #688 '88 has a drainage hole from the forward compartment into the bilge.

Mike

Ron Hill

John : From the boats that I've seen, there's no drain hole thru that forward bulkhead.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

Thanks for the replies folks.

Isn't it the most curious thing that the forward compartment can't be drained into the bilge. When I looked at the set up again yesterday afternoon, I noted that I have a snazzy but very thin wooden hatch with s.s. pull ring aft of the forward bulkhead and just forward of the bulkhead separating the forepeak from the saloon. But the hatch doesn't give me access to anything as there is an uncut gelcoated panel under it. Perhaps some people have their speedo and depth sounder sender here but mine are under the forward bunk just aft of the water tank. So I have no idea what goes on under there.

Has anyone cut an access hole under the wooden hatch?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

john meyer

John, I too have been curious about this expensive floor hatch to no where, but not curious enough to do exploratory surgery.  I've wondered if it might be a possible access point for a forward sonar mount?

John Sheehan

Yesterday I checked and found there is a 3/8" hole draining the forward area that drains to the area under the mystery hatch and then down to the rest of the bilge.  a larger hole would be better but this is better then nothing.
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Roc

John,
Looks like your '03 MKII has a hole, but mine doesn't...  I guess Catalina realized they need to put one there.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD