axle grease use?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

Following a "tech notes" article, I bought what turned out to be a lifetime supply of axle grease from West Marine (smallest quantity they had) and used it to lube my sea cocks. Can I also use this for servicing steering components - sheaves,cables etc. or is another grease (or oil) preferred.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : Don't know what kind of "Axle Grease" you bought.
I use the water resistant boat trailer axle grease on any stainless screws that I put into aluminum or any other item that need to be lubed to prevent corrosion.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff McKinney

Any thoughts on Teflon "grease"? I know it's a tad pricey, but it sure is durable & seems like a good choice for these sort of applications. (especially if you are not going to be messing with then much)

Ron Hill

Ken:  Another big use of the water resistant grease is to paint it on each side of the thru hull ball valve at every haul out.  Keeps them limber.  
I also use some on the face plate of the raw water impeller plate.  Keeps the wear down and gives a better seal.
I'm sure that I use it on many other items as my tube is 1/2 used up after 15 years.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ron & Jeff,

Ron, that's what I originally bought the tub of grease for pursuant to the "tech" suggestion in mainsheet. I was just curious if the trailer axle grease sold by West Marine is also suitable for steering components.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : The grease that I've recommend is BOAT trailer axle grease and usually states on the container that it's "water resistant".  
There's another grease that's "water proof", but it's very "sticky" and I've found that it has limited use.  Tryed it once on the head pump - that was a mistake!!   :oops:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Aha!

A distinction with a difference----(that I need to check)
:thumb: Thanks, Ron

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il