Wobbly Salon Table

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain

I know there are several posts about this, but none seem to suggest a solution (that I can see)

Does anyone know how to stop the wobble on the salon table? Everything seems tight, and in place....This is not unbearable, but when a guest goes to get up, and pushes down...well there goes the wine....

Any ideas would be great!
Richard
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Ron Hill

Richard : You need to figure out what is wobbling on the table.  It's either at the base where it connects to the floor, in the expandable column or the connection to the underside of the table itself.

I'll suspect/guess it's the bracket to the underside of the table.  I had to remove the table top (unscrew the top knob and lift it off the column).  I found that I had to fill the 6 screw holes with 5 min. epoxy and toothpick stubs and redrill the holes.  Once I re-tightened those screws everything was OK.
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

A month ago I did the same thing as Ron to my table.  I happened to find a screw on the sole and looked  up and saw it popped out from under the table.  After the epoxy job the table is nice and firm now.  :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Schneider

Richard- I had a similar problem when I bought my boat last year, and discovered that the PO had put the sliding bracket that locks the tabletop in upside down.  It's not immediately noticeable, so it might be worth a try to invert the bracket.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

dpenz

Richard,

I had a similar problem.  I could tighten the clamp knob as hard as I could and still the table would wobble.  The only solution was to remove the entire post (both upper and lower parts) and ship the works to an outfit in Florida.  They repaired it promptly and at reasonable cost.  The clamping mechanism had broken.  It is not a repair that can be done on the boat or even in your home workshop, it takes special tools.

You must send all of the parts, except for the table top.  Let me know and I can dig out information on the repair shop.

David

John Langford

Interesting exchange. I just returned from a week of good sailing. When I checked the bilge after a long beat I found a s.s. washer and a nut (with an integral washer that I eventually discovered had fallen off the centre of the underside of the table leg assembly. I put it back on by feel (can't see the bolt because the bilge is too shallow under the table) but cannot do more than hand tighten it. The table is firm and the screws attaching it to the cabin sole are tight. Does anyone know the function of this nut and washer?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

David Arnold

Speaking of salon tables is there a way to remove the table altogether on a very temp basis say when the family wants to watch a movie and curl up without the table in the way?  Unable to remove the table altogether we tried dropping it to put he large cushion on and found that we could only drop the table to the level of the top of the cushions.  To drop it more would require removing all of the cushions as front of the cushion extends into the area under the table by about 1/2 inch or so on 3 sides.  Am I missing something simple?  By the way mine is a new 2005 model with ultra leather upholstery.
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Roc

David,
My table is the same way, can't push it all the way down without removing the cushions.  Apparently, Catalina made the cushions just a hair too big.  I've always thought of trimming the circumference of the table down, but figured it wasn't worth it since I infrequently turn that area into a bunk.  It is a hassle to have to remove the cushions...I know what you mean.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike Smith

David -

I removed the table entirely a couple of years ago and have never put it back, although I could very easily.  With the table gone, the area makes a great conversation pit for raft-ups - we never had a "sit down" dinner on Breezer anyway!  You would not believe how much more room you have in the main salon with it out of the boat.  Just make sure the post is released and the table is all the way up - it is spring loaded and could cause some injury if it suddenly released with the table top removed.  Then take the table top off, the base unscrews or unbolts from the cabin sole - I can't remember which - and lifts off.  You could store the post and top in the aft cabin for quick re-installation, but I just took both of them and the cushion home.  I then installed a 4" Beckson inspection port where the base was, which could be covered up by a throw rug if it gets on your nerves.  I am considering installing a small "coffee table" on the mast somehow, just to hold drinks/snacks when jou need to talk with your hands, but that is way down my list of priorities right now.

Mike

isabel98

The table wobbles because the knob used to secure it in the base is faulty . Remove the knob and go buy a 2 and one half inch bolt with the same thread, Crank it down with a little adjustable wrench (not too tight!). you'll find your table top a steady as you please. What happens is that the plastic knob head doesn't hold the bolt securely enough,  the bolt recedes into the knob so it's too short to secure the top. Keep the adjustable handy and, problem solved! You can even train the wife and kids to do it themselves.. 8)

David Arnold

Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion.  I was thinking about taking out the table altogether but fear the first mate will make a fuss as she likes to have meals down below sometimes.  I would be a happy camper if there were a way to remove the table on a temporary basis but it does not sound like that is in the cards given the present configuration.

David
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

David : Look back in the old Tech Notes/Projects and you'll see that a number of us with the MKI larger tables made it into a drop leaf!!
A Thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Randy and Mary Davison

No need to take off the cushions to drop the table.  Lower to about a half inch or so above the cushions, hold with one hand, grab each cushion and pull up around table until it rests on top.  Lower table rest of way.  Takes way less time to do it than to tell about it.
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

amoreau

Hi,  Over the years we had to replace the table knob assy because it fell apart.  We also use the table as a bed more often than we like to.  What we did was take off about 1/2" all around the circumference.  We had a carpenter do it.  He had to sand and re-stain and seal the table again afterward.  The end result is that it was well worth the time and effort.  The table is effortless now to put down when making the bed.  No need to remove any cushions.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."