Isotherm Cooler

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Solari

I have an Isotherm cooler installed in my orignal icebox.  I.e a coooling plate powered by a small compressor.  This was in the boat when I bought it - no instruction manual. I have been shutting it of in the winter ans back on again in the Spring (not sure this is the right thing to so from a ref longevity or battery longevity issue).  

Anyway, my potential problem is the lights on the control panel and the fact that the compressor now "seems" to run most of the time (not good for anchoring).  Three lights on the control panel.  On, economy (amber) and freeze (red).  As I recall the unit runs on freeze when the engine is running and on amber when disconnected from shore power but I can't recall what it is supposed to do when I am connected to shore power or if I have a problem.  I don't want to get to anchor and find I have a malfunction.  Any help here on troubleshooting?  How to contact a solid Isotherm rep?

Thanks,

Gary Solari
Windsong
1989  Hull #829
Sailing in beautiful Puget Sound, Washington and Gulf Islands, Canada (near Vancouver B.C.)

Jim Price

Gary, I will so you a favor.  If you will send me your email address, I will scan my install manual for the Isotherm with the English sheets.

Big questions is what do you have?  I had an older unit installed by PO in probably 1993 that failed in 2003.  After talking with Isothem reps, determined that my unit was a short production cycle series (about 250 units) that used an "in between freon" back when they were moving to todays standards R134a.  I was told it was not worth the repair - freon issues, older units used much higher pressure, more power. (My control head had failed, not compressor).  They offerd me total new system, model 4701 (water cooled) listing for $1,950 at a price of $1,170.  All I had to do was send them the control unit so old system could never be used by anyone.

My wife and I did the install and it has been running 7 X 24 since March 2003.  New unit is colder, pull average of 1.0 amp, runs silent.  Was much easier to reinstall same product - every thing fit the same (except I did better job of running freon lines with less bends).

The vendor rep was Great Water in Brunswick, Maine.  The number was 866 209-6132.  Very helpful with problem diagnosis and resolution.  They also have a web site.

Don't know what kind of deal you would get if you need to replace but I can send you ops manaul and light patterns.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA