Universal M25 Diesel

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Woo

My Hull #165 purchased in May, 2001, is equipped with a Universal M25 diesel engine.  The hour meter indicates 386 hrs but the meter is broken so I don't know how many hours the engine really has. All indications are this is the original engine installed at Catalina.

Recently it was checked by a diesel mechanic out of Oriental, NC, who said the #2 injection plunger may be frozen which explained why the engine ran rough and was hard to start.  He confirmed yesterday after taking the pump and injectors out that #2 plunger was frozen and he had to order a new replacement part.

The cost of repair is going to be around $700 to $800 for labor and material.  He said to rebuild this engine would cost around $4,000 and a new one would cost over $7,000.

I would appreciate any comments and observations from owners with the same diesel engine and problems.

bjmansfield

a good friend had very similar problems (not a Universal, seems like it was a Perkins?). Hard to start, smoked a lot when first started, rpm's falling off.
He pulled all 4 injectors, took to a diesel injector repair shop for testing.  Only 1 was close to spec, the others just dripped fuel at best.  Had all 4 injectors rebuilt ($150-$175 each as I Recall - about 1/2 price of new injectors).
Installed the rebuilt injectors, bled system and the engine ran like new and this engine has 1000's of hours on it.
Would seriously consider just rebuilding the injectors and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Ron Hill

Paul : Sounds like a rip off to me. Unless you have alot of money and are real clutz with tools, let me know.  ronphylhill@erols.com ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788

Re and Frank Puff #691

Who is your mechanic in Oriental?  I may have a mechanic whom I trust very much to give you the requisite second opinion.