throttle creep

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

While motoring recently, I set the auto -pilot, throttled to 2500 RPM and sat back. A few minutes later the tach indicated 2200 RPM. I throttled back up and watched the throttle creep back to a reduced speed. The outside screw is tight . What is the easiest way to fix this (other than to tie off the throttle with twine. which is amusing but unsafe).

thanks much,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Mike Vaccaro

If you take a look at Edson's site, you'll find a maintenance section for their pedestals.  There is another hex head screw on the INSIDE of the pedestal that is the friction adjustment for the throttle.  You'll have to remove the binnacle compass to access this.  If it's been a while since any preventative maintenance has been performed on your steering system, you might want to take a look at the manufacturer's recommendations.  Steering systems on boats tend to be one of those ignored systems that don't receive too much attention until they stop working!

Best of luck,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ron Hill

The bolt head that Mike is referring to is a 9/16" on the starboard side and needs a little turn down.  
You might also want to check the throttle linkage at the engine to make sure that it's not slipping.  I even sprayed "belt grip" on the throttle wire when it was full exposed at the engine.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788