dinghy outboard size

Previous topic - Next topic

David Sanner

I'm looking into getting a dinghy for my c34.

I'd like to get something that would plane with say 300lbs or so of passengers onboard. What size motor would I need for say a 9' inflatable?
Would a 5hp do it or would I need 8+hp?

Any opinions on inflable floors vs. plywood?
I'm also looking for an inflatable that I could stow onboard as well as quick setup.

thanks, David
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

hdevera

This is highly subjective, but here's my 2 cents.  I have a Mercury 10 ft High Pressure inflatable.  Practical Sailor rated it very well.  I have been very satisfied with it.  I've had it for two seasons and no problems.  I have a 5 HP Tohatsu 4 cylce engine it it works okay.  If I had to do it over, I'd get a Honda 4 cycle.  I can easily plane with that HP.  I often store the dinghy inverted on the fore deck.  It fits fine there but you do have to step over it when going forward.  During the winter, I just deflate it; roll it up and store it in the forecabin.

It's quite easy to tow and I can't say that it has ever been a problem towing.  I purchased it online from Bustersmarine.  Best price I could find.  Good luck.

David Sanner

I know, it is a tall order...  thanks for your informative replies.

I have a feeling we'd be stowing the boat regularly (when sailing on SF Bay) so quick setup time and a lighter motor is high on the list...  which is why I've been looking at an inflatable floor or a smaller roll-up model and trying to keep the engine size down.

Hal, that's exactly what I've been looking at so far.  Bustersmarine.com seems to have some good prices.  So you can plane easily with 5hp 4-stroke eh?  Any idea  the max weight you've had and still more or less been up on a plane?

I guess the big question is whether with the 300lbs leaning over the bow with little wind on smooth water (on the Napa river for example) the thing would get up and plane with 5hp or 6hp on the back.

Seems to be a big jump between a small roll-up (45lbs) with 4-6hp(55lbs) and a 10'(80lbs) with a 8hp(80+lbs).... weight/usage/price/setup.  

I guess I'm trying to find something in between with the smaller motor that would still work for two.

Just like sailing... I guess it's always a matter of trade-offs.

-d

hdevera

David,

IMHO, an 8HP motor is great but would be very heavy.  I made the tradeoff for a 5HP because I had an eight with an AVON RIB and it was more than enough power.  I struggled with the weight and I also wanted a 4 cycle engine.  I'm very happy with the power of a 5HP and an inflatable floor.  I've use the dinghy for transporting as many as 4 adults back and forth to the moorings at Angel Island.  Although I didn't plane the boat, it had ample power and was very stable in the waves there.  Re: setup,  it's easy and I rarely have to top it off with more air.

Ken Juul

This might be a case where you need to try out a couple different models.  I have 9.6 from Boat US with a wood floor.  Gets on a plane with 2 adults and a tired (10 yr old) 5 hp 2 stroke.  Recently took a ride in a friends without a hard floor and didn't like the "bouncy" feeling.  We either tow or keep ours inverted on the bow.  Other than working around it to set the whisker pole haven't had a problem sailing with it in either position.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Chouse

David,
I recently purchased a Zodiak FR285 with the high pressure floor. I am surprised at how rigid the floor gets when inflated properly. I also have a 4 stroke 5HP Honda that I use with it. It has a tough time getting me up on plane but it will do it if I am all the way forward and it is at full throttle. I am approximately 265 fully clothed. I tried the doel fins to see if they would help. While the fins leveled the boat they also prohibited it from planing. I suspect it is just too much drag. My plan is to modify them (reduce their size) and test to see if this will help.

If I had to do it over, I would go with the Honda 8 and the 310. Check out the HP floor it is really great! If you need to look at one assembled and INFLATED PROPERLY talk to Tim at Tim's Zodiak. He has them all set up in his showroom.

As for size, the 285 fits nicely stored up on deck in front of the mast with plenty of walking room all the way around. My wife is able to haul it up with spinnaker halyard easily and it can be folded very quickly and stowed in the lazarette.

My next purchase is going to be an electric inflater.

As for leaving it up on deck, I just purchased the cover for the hp285 boat from West Marine and it barely fits. I think it is desinged to cover the top not the bottom. If this is the case then I would have to store my boat face up on deck. Anyone have any feedback on this? The first thing that comes to my mind is rain.

Corbett

tsoko

Corbett,
Can you return the cover to WM?  If you can, the answer is easy.  Get the next larger size.  I have the Zodiac 310 (10'2"), and the stock cover was VERY tight.  I bought the cover for the 340 (11') model, and it fits fine.  Easy on/off, and it stays put with the elastic hem. Store it on the foredeck inverted and covered during the week, tow it everywhere on the weekends.  I also love the HP floor.  Light and stable.  Easily planes with a 6HP 2-stroke and 300# on board. Won't plane with 450#, though.

David Sanner

I guess there are a lot of variables here such as 2 vs. 4 stroke (low end torque), inflatable size and manufacturer, and finally prop size & pitch but it's good to here that it's possible to plane with two people using a 5hp motor. (assuming good conditions & positions)

The 77lb 8HP 4stroke Honda seems like a nice engine but a bit over my current budget.
(I'm also thinking of getting an old beater vacuum cleaner to use as my electric inflator and then top off with the hand pump)

Hal, why do you prefer Honda over Tohatsu?

rdavison

My 2 cents -totally objective of course...

My kids could plane an old West Marine with ply floor with a 5 hp when they were small.  My wife and I total 400 lbs and chose a AquaPro 10.5 foot rib with aluminum hull and a Tohatsu 9.8.  We plane just fine and go 17 with both of us and 22 with me alone.  The rib weighs about 110 and I hoist it with the spinnaker halyard.  the Tohatsu weights 68 lbs (2 stroke) and I hoist it with a removable hoist on the rear pulpit.  The aluminmum hull is for barnacles on the beach.

Remember the weight of the fuel tank and other stuff you want to carry in figuring your weight.
As for the need for speed - fishing, prawing and good restarants out to 5 miles or so.

Stu Jackson

Just came back from two weeks in the Delta, Fisherman's Cut to Lost Slough.

Cadet Zodiac Fast Roller High Pressure Floor, 9.9 Evinrude 1990.

Nine feet is too short.  Go for AT LEAST 10-2.

ZOOM.

Up and down is easy, inflates on the foredeck.

Who could ask for anything more?

Stu

PS

Has this same conversation a few years ago.  Do a search (FIND) on dinghy.  Randy goes yearly to the Bahamas, and chose a plywood floor because he likes to fish.  Makes a lot of sense to me.

PPS  The Garhauer dinghy motor davit is the BEST thing since I put my inverter charger in.  Don't leave home without one.  Least expensive, best made, easiest to use, and you can hang your anchor light (or anything else) right on it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

David sanner

Hi Dave, met you at the South Beach harbor yesterday.
glad to hear you bought your C34 and have moved it to SB. Also, very glad to hear that you are intersted and you have lots of exoeriance racing your previous boat. We allways welcome new racers and hope you join Fleet 1.
I have read your past posts but I can not find your Email address so that we can comunicate without the word listening. I see that you are registerd so maybe Stu Jackson has all the information and your Email.

Dave Sanner

Dave, I tried to send you my Email, but all I see is a (RED X). I have no clew what that means. But I will try sending my address one more time.
<davis_707@yahoo.com>

Gerry

Anyone have experience with a HP floor and how it holds up to toe nails of a 50# dog?

Stu Jackson

Gerry

Good question.  The earlier suggestion to do a search on "dinghy" may shed some light on that since Randy bought his plywood floor specifically because he fishes and didn't want to get caught with a fish hook in his floor!!!

I also recorded that I'd installed outdoor carpert over the floor in our inflatable floor.  That may be a way for you to go.

Also don't know how sharp your dog's claws really are!   :wink:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

I've had a hard dink, a plywood floor 9.6 inflatable, an inflatable floor 8.5 and 9.6, and now 8.5 RIB.   The inflatable floors are too light when you get into bad weather.
The RIB and a 5 hp 2 stroke will plane with both of us (290 lbs) and the shorter 8.5 can be stored on the for-deck upside down and still have room to get around it.  Don't think I'd ever get anything else, but a RIB.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788