access doors, fender size, mast wedges, & galley white d

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

Hi all, 2 more weeks and we're on our boat. Can't wait. A couple of last minute questions.

1. Some people put access doors in the v-berth down low to the left and right of the under the berth drawer, next to the hanging locker and "chest of drawers." Does anyone know what size door these areas will accommodate? I forgot to measure when I was last at the boat.

2.  Four 10X26 Taylor fenders came with our boat. This seems like overkill and takes up mucho room. Are 8X20's OK and do we really need four?

3.  Our boat came without mast wedges. What's the need, wisdom on this issue?

Now, after so many questions, my first contribution! When our boat came without a set of white galley cabinet doors (they had a microwave in the space), we searched and searched and finally found, at Home Depot, Thrifty White Tileboard. $10. Same thickness as doors, a nice shiny white, so we're replacing a four doors.

Thanks for all the help!!
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Jim Price

Kerk, if you had yelled on the site first, you might have obtained the doors for nothing from some one (like me) that installed a newer microwave and no longer needed the doors.

Always check the site first for stuff; some times you might get lucky when folks are cleaning out the old basement.

Seriously, we all also appreciate when you create an alternative source and let everyone know.

Enjoy your baby!
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ted Pounds

Kerk,,

1.  Not sure of the size, but I got my doors from BoatUS.  They were the only size they had at the time.  I think the doors are about 6x12 with the frames a bit larger.  On the starboard side I made and installed a drawer with the Boat US door as a drawer front.  I think the drawer is about 16" deep and by removing it I can also access the space underneath.  I keep my sail bags there.

2.  Depends on how good/protected your dock is.  I use the 8x20's  (3) but we have a very snug marina.  Try a search on fenders; I think there's been some other stuff written on sizes and storage.  We store our fenders in the aft lazzarette, but I don't think you boat has that compartment as you probably have a walk-thru transom.

3.Definitely need the mast wedges to hold the mast steady at the partners (where it goes through the deck).  An alternative that I use is Spartite, a two-part epoxy-like mixture that fills the gap at the partners.  It stays on the mast so that  you don't have to mess with centering and replacing wedges every time you step the mast.  Spartite takes an afternoon to install.

Have fun on the North Channel.  I'm jealous.  I've always wanted to take a trip up there.  But  just can't seem to fit it into our busy schedule.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Kerk : The size of the louvered "V"berth doors are 12" square (outside of frame).
The mast wedges give the mast additional support and stability.  You can use oak (I'd recommend 6) or the Spartite that Ted mentioned.
The oak are easy to cut and install.   Just slide up the boot and tap them in with a hammer.   Might consider making a mast boot cove from Sunbrella, like I did.  See my mainsheet article, it keeps the hot sun off the boot.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Vaccaro

Kerk,

Unless you have a natural gift for fiberglass work and gelcoat repair, there is no such thing as "too big" or "too many" when it comes to fenders!

If storage space is an issue, you can buy a small hand pump and then "deflate" your fenders when not in use (just insert an inflation needle into the fender and sit on it, allowing it to collapse a bit).  Be careful when re-inflating, since most fenders are designed to work at about 1 PSI (yup, 1 PSI)--so it's easy to over inflate.  In the case of Taylor-made fenders, the warranty is void if they are over-inflated.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

kerk fisher

What are the size wedges?  I can cut them before I got to the boat. Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

kerk fisher

Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759

Stu Jackson

Kerk

The wedges are like door stops, triangular in cross section.  Make a few of them at varying tapers and you should be OK.  The space between the partners (the hole) and the mast is only about an inch or an inch and half at the most on each side with the mast centered.

Because I single-hand a lot, I just leave the 6 x 23 fenders hooked to the lifelines, but ON DECK.  We have 6 of them.  Your boat, your choice, how can anyone tell you how many or what size will work for you?  Look around at other boats, albeit early in the season.  If you drape them around outside the lifelines and they're hanging over the side, you have what is referred to as "Marina Del Rey Racing Stripes."  No offense to our So. Cal. brethren.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."