Seaward Alcohol Stove

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Woo

I bought hull #165 "Symplistic" in May, 2001 which came equipped with a two-burner/oven alcohol stove.  From the holding tank, it appears to be made by Seaward.  The tank is mounted horizontally in the lazarette under the helmsman's seat and has a pressure valve and a plug at the same end.

I tried to pressurize it and ignite the burners without success.

If anyone has a stove like mine, I would appreciate some advice on how to properly operate it and care for it, etc.  Do you like this type of stove?  I personally prefer liquid propane stoves but don't want to spend $ on another one if this would suffice.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

BillGreen

We had a pressurized alcohol stove on our last boat. They can be temperamental, but if you're careful, they can and will do a good job. To light ours, I had to pour a little bit - a very little bit - of alcohol on the burner and burn that off before igniting the burner. This heats the butner so that they pressurized fuel will varorize and burn properly.

You do need to be careful, as the alcohol you pour into the burner will flare up if you use too much!

Bill Green
ADANAC # 283
In Oriental too

kenkillian

I understand your feelings Paul, as Puff has a similar stove, but with just a little practice you can learn to light and feel quite comfortable with it; maybe even prefer it.  
     Pump about 15lbs of pressure into the tank with a bicycle pump.  Open valve at tank and then open valve at stove for about 2 seconds.  This will allow fuel to enter the "priming cup".  Light and let burn away; and just when it is nearly gone, open valve again and you should see the orifices in burner light and there your are. Don't try to turn flame low as it may go out.  It works best under large flame.   One thing that I lke about it is that this puts out a much warmer flame than propane.  The flame can be doused easily with water if you have a problem also.  If you like, send me an email and I can copy manual and send it to you.

Ron Hill

Paul : You have three choices. 1. replace/rebuild it from from Seaward  2. Convert it to kerosene/diesel  3. Jerk it out and put in a propane unit. ronphylhill@erols.com    ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788