Water Heater Smell

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Ewing

I have a strong sulfur-like odor coming from hot water.  The water is fine going into the heater.  Is there a way to get rid of the odor without replacing the entire unit (i.e. a heating element)?  It heats fine and isn't rusted so I hate to replace it, but being a 1990 model it may be time.

I searched on "water heater" and "water odor" but didn't find any reference to a specific smell.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook, #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ron Hill

Kyle : The inside core of the water heater is an aluminum alloy.  Are you sure that your H2S smell isn't from the hot water hoses?   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Brener

I have had this problem.  Drain the water tanks, add a cup of bleach  and pump it through the system including the hot water tank.  When you smell chlorine in the water at the tap you know it is in the lines.  Let it sit for several hours or over night, drain and add an ounce or so of bleach every time you fill the tanks.  This should remove the smell and keep it away.
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

Jim Price

While you are at it, you might want to go ahead and replace the heating element.  If you have the "square" 6-gal heater from Seward, all you need to do is remove the element, go to nearest Home Depot / Lowes and buy matching replacement for about $8 / $9 dollars.  A heater as old as your will probably have a lot of "stuff" on the heater element and a new one will make a tremendous difference in the heating cycle.

By the way, you will have fun getting the old element out but with the correct PLUMBING tools, should be a no brainier.  :thumb:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Kyle

In addition, we read in one of the Mainsheets, that it is a good habit to use the HOT water faucet almost all the time.  Even if there is no hot water, it keeps the water moving through the heater.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Fitch

When you are at Home Depot getting your new heating element ask them where to find the tool to remove the old one.  It is a galvanized tube shaped to fit the heating element.  They have them and I think it costs about $8 and it makes the job very easy.  I pull mine every spring to flush out the bottom of the water heater with the hose since crud kind of grows in the bottom of the tank over the winter.

Jim Fitch
Sunshine