Battery set up

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Luna Loca currently has 5 batteries, all fairly new wet cells.  Battery 1 is a bank of 3, Battery 2 has the remaining 2.  Not quite sure why it was set up this way.  When cruising I use 1 as the house bank, and hold 2 for starting the engine/raising the anchor.  However the engine is always started before using the windlass, so not sure why I need 2 batteries on the "engine" bank. It would make more sense to me to rearrange the banks into a 4/1 split.  If I do this will I have cause problems with the battery charger/ alternator during the charging process?   Or since everything seem to be working fine, just leave well enough alone  :confused:
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

jentine

I have 5 batteries installed in Jentine.  I have four on bank one and one on bank two for starting.  All other systems run off of the #1 bank.  I have had no problems with this arrangement.  I, like you have the engine running when the winch is used, so there is no significant load on the batteries.
The second battery idea is to ensure that you can start the engine and get home at the end of the day.

Ron Hill

Ken : You didn't give the Amp hr size or type of wet cells they are.  Do you have a battery monitor?  ronphylhill@erols.com ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788