Screens

Previous topic - Next topic

gcv

Where can I find screens for the opening ports and hatches? Catalina was no help. Thanks.
P.S. I just bought and overhauled this boat, but the screens were rotten.

Stu Jackson

Glen

Based on your #1078 hull you most likely have Lewmar portlights.

I suggest you check Lewmar's website (most likely www.lewmar.com) or any marine catalog (West Marine, BoatUS, Defender, etc.)

While our older boat (1986) has the older Beckson ports (like the ones still installed in your aft cabin), you should be able to find a source and price for them.

Catalina was no help because they build the boats with "components" and port screens are easy to find directly from the OEM vendors.

Best regards, enjoy your C34.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Glenn : Stu is correct about Lewmar replacement screens for the side ports.  What he didn't say was that they're about $17 EACH !!  I have screens for the side ports,head,Vberth and over the dinnett. Let me know and I can tell you what I did to solve the screen problem. ronphylhill@erols.com ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788

Honiara

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 29, 2001, 12:32:24 PM
Glenn : Stu is correct about Lewmar replacement screens for the side ports.  What he didn't say was that they're about $17 EACH !!  I have screens for the side ports,head,Vberth and over the dinnett. Let me know and I can tell you what I did to solve the screen problem. ronphylhill@erols.com ;)

Ron, Apache #788

We just pruchased #371.The previous owner replaced the screen material, however we find the frame has "shrunk" and will not stay in place. How did you solve the problem. Am thinking of trying to insert the frame into some cording/piping to see if screen will then stay put.Would likt to solve this problem before headint to the North Channel of Lake Huron- "mosquito country"!
Thanks for any reply
   Murray McNeill #371

Ron Hill

Guys : In 1986 and some early 1987s Catalina used Bomar side ports and then switched to Lewmar.  As far as I know the MKIs have Bomar ports in the aft cabin (unless the 1st owner asked for Lewmar in the aft cabin whe the boat was built - some did!!).
In some of the early boats there was a Bomar side port in the head rather than an overhead hatch.

So it's important that you identify your production year & hull #.  Even then you may have a different part installed!!. 
Ron, Apache #788

Honiara

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 27, 2006, 03:49:31 PM
Guys : In 1986 and some early 1987s Catalina used Bomar side ports and then switched to Lewmar.  As far as I know the MKIs have Bomar ports in the aft cabin (unless the 1st owner asked for Lewmar in the aft cabin whe the boat was built - some did!!).
In some of the early boats there was a Bomar side port in the head rather than an overhead hatch.

So it's important that you identify your production year & hull #.  Even then you may have a different part installed!!. 

hull #371 (1988) Lewmar  portlights-in fore and main cabins

M Mcneill

BillG

We bought new screens for our boat last year.  Lewmar advised us to call Oyster Bay marine at 800 645 7446 for the replacements.  They were about 19 bucks a screen as I recall.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

kerk fisher

We have some screens for the lewmar windows that we are selling (On sailnet.com). They go on the outside so you can open and close the window with them in.  They're about $10 a piece. Otherwise. We constructed frames for the outside of a poly plastic material that were the exact size of the flat part of the alum. frame on the outside. We then glued, with 3M very very thin adhesive, screen material to the frame, put another layer of adhesive and attached them to the window. The plastic is clear but colors over time with the sun. I saw this on a 34 and through some research found the sailor who had manufactured them in Tennessee--he's no longer doing it. He told me about all the ingrediants.  I can give you more specifics if you wish.   We also sail the North Channel every year. Let's meet. Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

WindyT

In case anyone is wondering, the lewmar portlight screens are now $45 each!!!

The DIY option must be the best bet at this point.  Good lord!
Annie C  1990 C34  Hull #1041   Charleston, SC

Ron Hill

Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

Kirk, you should post a pic of your screens.  Very nice job on solving the problem.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944