boom bottom to dodger measurement needed

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

Our boat, a 90 STANDARD rig, is 600 miles away and the canvas shop says that it will measure 6 inches down from the boom bottom to create the top of the dodger. MAIN SAIL will NOT be on the boom for the measurement. No dutchman, only (I forget the name) the small lines and rings that attach to the leach of the sail so it doesn't flop over too much when dropped.  Is this enough room to clear the dodger when the sail is on the boom and enclosed in the cover? Could anyone who is near their standard rig boat measure this and tell me what it should be?  THANKS, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

hdevera

Kerk,

Every boat, dodger, and sail covers will likely be somewhat different.  I would suggest that you take your time, and have the canvas guy measure the dodger when the sail and covers are on the boom.  Also, if you can be there, its nice because many dodger heights are adjusted to the height of the owner (so he/she can see over the dodger).  Good Luck.

Hal

Ron Hill

Kerk : If you don't want to make that trip, here's what I'd do:
If your topping lift/rigid vang is presently set in the lowest position of the boom for when the mainsail is up - them I'd go with 8 inches from the bottom of the boom.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Kerk

There are two approaches to dodgers:  one - you see through it; two - you see over it.  Our dodger is LOW.  I like it that way.  I've seen other dodgers that are HIGH and you MUST see through them, all the time.  Some are at such a level that when you're standing your eyes are at the same level as the top of the dodger, which is really goofy, since it gets right in your way.  With ours, when I'm standing, I do not have to look through anything, as we can see over it.

So that's one input as far as dodger design is concerned.  Our frame was designed to be deliberately low.

The other issue that I think you need to consider, which Ron addressed, is what position your boom will be when you are sailing upwind with the vang tightened all the way.  Sure, it may be nice to have a high dodger (if you like that design approach), but if the top of the dodger gets in the way of the bottom of your boom when you're sailing because the vang is tight, it is NOT the right dodger design.

Those are the two things you need to consider, and no one can measure that for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Kerk : Stu makes a good point on the "dodger see thru".
On my boat I (5'9") see OVER the dodger and my 1st Mate (5'3") sees UNDER the dodger.  
Added thoughts - I have a windshield that completely zips out and I also have a full hand rail on the aft side, as well as side rail hand holds.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Kerk

If you do NOT purchase side handrails for your new dodger, you will immediately wish you had!  Please, for safety sake, get side handrails.

Many folks like Ron have aft rails, too, at the aft edge of the dodger.  We have two good handrail access holes built into the dodger fabric that work fine for us.  Either way, without handrails both side and aft you will not be a happy skipper. :roll:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Paul Bosquet

I had my dodger and full enclosure made last year and did alot of research to come up with what works great for me. The dodger side and aft grab bar, lots of windows, opening center window and removable side window. Can also zip in a screen in place of the center window for air without the bugs.. I really like the light grey also called silver color.

Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Paul Bosquet

picture of the full enclosure, for those interested
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Stu Jackson

Picture of our "lower" dodger.  Notice the distance between the bottom of the boom and the top of the dodger.  This allows good hard vang adjustments.