prop pulling

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Armstrong

I am swapping props this weekend. is there any thing other than the nut on the rear holding the prop on. any set screws or anything. i want to be prepared.
thanks.
Howard
angelina 648

Ted Pounds

Nothing but the big nut and its cotter pin.  The old prop may require a couple of wacks with a mallet or 2x4 to loosen up.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Steve S.

If you have one, bring a torch out with you.  Heating up the prop will make it come off alot easier
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

ohana34

just pulled mine.  Average sized 2 jaw gear puller, board for wedging between prop and hull, medium sized adjustable wrench, needle nose for cotter pin and hammer.
After removing pin and nut, tighten up gear puller and whack end with hammer.  Don't stand behind, will come off after a couple whacks and tightenings.
That's what i did.  Mine had been on for over 10 years.
Jim

Ron Hill

Howard : If your prop has on for a number of years or never removed you'll need a gear/prop puller for sure.  If you can squirt some liquid wrench between the shaft and the inside of the prop hub and let it sit for awhile - that might help.  
If you try to whack it with a hammer (onto a 2x4 in between) make sure that you leave the nut on the shaft afew turns so the prop doesn't go flying.  Good Luck.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788