Average sailing speed on your boat?

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckhughes

Just out of curiosity, what's a typical sailing speed you get out of your boats?  I know it all depends on weather, sea conditions, point of sail, etc., but assuming a reasonably strong breeze (short of reefing), relatively calm seas, a close reach, how fast are you going?  

I find I'm usually in the neighborhood of 6.5 - 6.8 knots. I very rarely approach theoretical hull speed, which I understand is 7.3 knots.  (I don't know what the typical wind speed is for me because I don't have a wind speed indicator)

Thanks for the info.

Hull#753

I average in the high 5's going over, unless I close-haul it, then I can get something over 6.

When it's really nasty (windy) & I'm heading for the Isthmus I can closehaul in the low 7's, 1st reef, but it's not much fun for a single hander - too much weather helm.

Coming back is almost always mid 5's - low 6's & almost always a form of running.

All of the above figures include towing the 9.5 inflatable w/ 5hp outbrd up & out, and are GPS measured speeds exclusively.

By the way, the BLUE MOON is the fastest standard-rigged, oldschool C34 ever made.  OldSchool = OEM teak grabrails

Period.

John

kenkillian

Chuck,

We usually are in the upper 5's, but I just put a new bottom paint on this spring and we are now in the 6.3 to 6.5 (GPS).  The new bottom paint has really helped us.

amazer

We have a fresh coat of bottom paint and a few weeks ago motor sailed  up the Pamlico River on our way back from Ocrakoke.  We hit a frontal system with 30 knot winds and made max speeds of 8.2 knots (GPS)with our mainsail up and motor at 1600 rpm. We probably averaged over 6 knots.

Larry Calfee

I agree with the previous replies.  I do not consider myself a racer but sort of a laid back cruiser.  We sail San Francisco bay where we can get some good wind.  We have touched 8 knots (briefly) in a close haul and have done 7.2 running with main alone.  Both are not typical.  We usually are sailing at 5 to 6.5 knots and occasionally delight in reaching or exceeding 7.3 with full main and 100% jib.  We have only had the boat for 1 1/2 years but have really enjoyed her.  She is a stiff solid boat, comfortable to sail even in the stiff breezes we get here on SF bay.

sailor2mon

I sail the Gulf of Mexico regularly wih my 34 #616. Enchante' is a tall rig/wing keel and I have hit some 8kt speeds GPS, (correcting for current with Knot log)to achieve actual speed)

Spirit

We just purchased the boat and brought it down the ICW according to the GPS. Type is Garmin GPS III plus (assume some current) Trip 65.5 miles - Avg. speed 6.1 - time 10:47 Hrs/Min - Max 8.6
Under Power

Ed Shankle

How about engine speed? I only get about 5kts (GPS) at 2400 rpm's. And if it gets choppy, it drops right off.
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

kenkillian

At 2400 Rpm's I think you should do a little better - at least 1/2 knot better.  How is your bottom or prop?  I picked up at least a 1/2 knot sailing and under power after new bottom paint.

Ed Shankle

I use Micron CSC ablative bottom paint. The latest version has a biocide which so far seems to be helping to keep the slim down.
3 blade prop repitched last year to 10. Polished and coated with clear lower unit antifouling paint this year. New stainless shaft and cutlass bearing this year.

Tail Wind #866
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA