lewmar or beckson ports/ screen problem

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

I have lewmar opening ports but can't close the ports with the screens in. (I couldn't believe this construction so I called Lewmar and a person there said yes, it's true. They are made in Europe where they don't have a bug problem!!) Is there any way of avoiding taking all these out and installing Beckson opening ports? With mosquitoes chomping at the bit to get in we need to be able to open and close our ports with the screens always in. Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Jim Price

If you are talking about the ports in solon and v-berth, the screens go on the outside, not on the inside.  You can open and close with no problems.

I am assuming the screen you have are gray with small tabs on the edges.  The tabs pop into a narrow grove on the outside of the port frames.  I have had mine in place for over two years, not for bugs but for reducing the heat and UV that comes through when ports are closed.  My boat is #1119, 1991 so I suspect the ports are the same.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

kerk fisher

Jim, thanks for this.  Yes, I have a supply of grey screens. Now, I've heard people talk about these little screens, how they're a pain because they keep popping out.  Have you ever had a problem with this?  Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

captran

The screens on our 97 kept popping out and rather than lose them overboard in a squall, we gave up and just kept the ports closed.  This got easier after we put extra sealant on the outside to seal the rain out, leaving them more like fixed ports.  We just couldn't get the leaking fixed despite taking the gaskets out and resealing them.  We are ready to try new gaskets and think they are the "old style" size 1.  I had Beckson on my Newport 30 and liked the design of the screens and ports, so I am still thinking complete replacement might be the way to go.  As to the screens, we got the grey little tabs in with a perfect fit and would would still pop out all the time.  This part is one of the few that I think Catalina did a poor job of selecting.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ron Hill

Randy : I think the Lewmar side ports are a good product leak wise.  Believe that you got a poor installation.  
Lewmar's screens however, do have much to be desired :oops:
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Price

Kirk, they are not the easiest thing to deal with but I have never had one pop out except when giving the boat a vigerous wash / scrub.  And then it was only one corner or end.  I can't answer how they would hold up in heavy weather conditions or heavy seas like SF Bay.  We have had wind here on the lake clocking 50-60 during storms but the screens have stayed put so far.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

captran

Really?  The have leaked constantly since I bought the boat.  All six.  There's not much to the installation, as per the lewmar diagram.  Seat the V shape with  silicone into the groove.  But I must admit, I have only cleaned and tried to re seat the old gaskets.  I bought one new gasket which turned out to be too small.  I had given him my window measurements and  he thought it was size "0", and I think it's more like "1".    I know I've got to get this figured out now that we are in the soggy northwest.  for now, we have paper towels and towels down.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa