Diesel Fuel

Previous topic - Next topic

dave davis

I got a race tomorrow and I never like to carry any more fuel than I need to get to the start and home in case the wind disappears.
Well, I got a real shock when I used a 5$ bill and all I got was 1.8 gallons. That is terrible, what can we do about it? Thank goodness we all own SAIL boats. For those of you who need a calculator, It comes to $2.79 per. gal. WOW!
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

David Sanner

Unfortunately a bit of research would only save you a few
pennies.  However, this a nice resource for places that carry diesel.

http://www.sanfrangasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D

Meanwhile oil companies had over 100 Billion in
profits in 2004 alone ...  is anyone surprised?

...not to bring politics in here but...

I guess us sailors are the few with an 'energy policy.'   :idea:

Anyone doing a 20/80 mix of biodiesel?
http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/showstate.asp?st=CA

I hear it can help clean up an engine and at 20% you get the 'french fry' smell without risk of damaging engine seals or fuel lines.  The guy next to me in my marina swears by it.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

RON SCHERER

Dave, until the people of this country step up and play hardball with the gas companies they are going to continue to give us the shaft. I have a auto parts busi. in Phoenix and my gas bills are through the roof. All I can do is pass the cost on to my customers and it rolls down hill from there if you know what I mean? For the life of me I do not know why the truckers dont band together and shut the country down until they drop the price of gas to a fair price. This is a monopoly if I`ve ever seen one. What if you had a power boat that took 500 gallons @ $3.00 a gallon and got 5 miles to the gallon?

David Arnold

Gas consumption on a power boat is more like 5 gallons per mile.  A 34 foot power boat running at about 20 MPH will burn about 25 to 30 gallons per hour!  Be thankful we have the wind to use.

David
Prints of Tides
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

Dave : Like a true racer you need to sail away from and back to the dock, or get towed out and back.  
Just think you could remove the prop after the engine is taken out.  That would really lighten up the vessel, while saving untold diesel $$  (SMILE!!).   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788