Companionway & Hatch Screens

Previous topic - Next topic

Windswell

We are considering purchasing screens from Glebe Creek Screenworks, in Edgewater, MD.

Glebe Creek Screenworks has a very impressive design and well illustrated catalog.  Unfortunately this is all we have to go on.

Wondering if anyone is outfitted with Companionway or hatch screens from Glebe Creek and what has your experience been.

Thanks.[/i]

Ray & Sandy Erps

On our previous boat, I made my own hatch boards with screens in them.  It worked out fine, but it was another item to store somewhere when not in use.  For this boat, we bought some mosquito netting material at the fabric store and pin it over the companion way hatch and the front hatch in the evenings.  We get the same bug protection with the benefit of stowing the netting in a small bread sack stuffed in a cubby hole when it's not being used.  Cost was around $5.00 for the material.  It's a cheap alternative that works for us.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

John Langford

I have dealer supplied aluminum framed screens for my overhead hatches and a home made screened cedar companionway insert to substitute for 2 of the normal hatch boards during buggy summer nights. But as Ray points out that means that I am carrying and storing a fairly large cedar framed screen. My solution is to get a sunbrella companionway hatch board cover made with a screened section. It will look good and be much easier to store than the wooden framed screen. I'll let you know how it works.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ken Juul

Mine came with the boat, think it was made by a PO, no trademarks on it. It is made from 2 pieces of 1/8" Plexiglas, with the screen sandwiched between them.  The frame is about 3" wide to give adequate support, the outside demensions are cut to replace all three hatch boards.  It is thin enough to be stored under a mattress.  Not sure what I will do if I need to replace the screen, the frame halves are epoxied together.  For the front hatch we have a flexible screen held on by a bungee.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

[/i] : Here's my dealings with Glebe Creek.
I was moored in the Annapolis Harbor and gave them a telephone call.  I wanted a screen made for the Vberth hatch.  I knew that it had to be measured as the contour of that hatch differed with each year's production and individual installation.  Glebe Creek is located somewhere on the South Rvr about 10 miles away.  They told me it was too small of a job for them to come measure!!  
Hope your dealings are more fruitful.   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

louberman

I have the companionway screen from Glebe.  I purchased mine in 1997, before they had the swing door design.  Mine slide in similar to the hatch boards, but only two pieces.  I also got a screen that fits the top opening of the companionway.  At the time it cost $335.  I have been well satisfied.

Lou Berman #1366

John Sheehan

We have found the Bugbuster Companionway screen to be very effective for us.  The cost is much less than solid screens and they take up very little space in their plastic case when not needed.  Last summer we gave it a major proof test in the everglades where none of the millions of bugs waiting for dinner were able to gain entry.  West Marine shows them on page 573 of the 2005 catalog.  We are thinking of getting one for the forward hatch.  The present screen for the hatch will not allow adjustment of the hatch opening without removing the screen first and flooding the boat with hungry bugs.
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL