Depth finder

Previous topic - Next topic

howard armstrong

My depth finder is on the way out. it is a Navico and the transducer is on the inside of the hull under the V-berth. It has never worked properly, since I have had the boat, and I am getting ready to replace it. The question is where to put the new one to get the best possible readings. If I decide to get one and drill a hole in the bottom where is the best place? Thanks.

jentine

The dealer installed mine in the starboard settee forward of the mast.  It should be as close to the centerline as possible to insure a straight down attitude.  I have never had any trouble with this installation.

Re and Frank Puff #691

A special bottom paint solved Puff's problem!

We had lots of trouble with our depth sounder.  I sent the head back to the mfg. for "repair" and it came back with a nothing wrong diagnosis.  My shipwright had a spare transducer that we hooked up and it seemed to work pretty well, at least at the dock.

Our transducer is installed inside the hull but does penetrate through the bottom.  It is just forward, about 8", of the keel.

What did solve the problem was taking the bottom paint off the transducer and replacing it with a "special" bottom paint made for that purpose.  Comes in a "nail polish" bottle, cost $11 and since we put it on the depth sounder works reasonably well, actually very well

Ken Juul

Mine is right side under the v berth.  Have had no problems with it.  Under the Stbd settee was mentioned, that is also a popular place to put the Air Conditioner.  If you plan to add one in the future, might not want to put the depth sounder there.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA