Storage Covers

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron S

I have a new C-34 on order.  Thinking ahead to the fall, I would like any recommendations on a winter storage cover.  The boat will be stored on a trailer with the mast up.

Roc

Hi Ron,
This past winter I bought a 'good' poly tarp.  The kind that is black on one side, grey on the other.  I thought I could make a halfway decent cover.  It's not that easy.  Whenever I would go to check the boat, and work on internal projects, I would spend 2 hours adjusting/fixing the cover.  Not so fun when the temp is 10 degrees.  For next winter, I will invest in a custom made cover.  I plan on having it fitted with the mast up.  The cost of the cover is a small percentage of the full investment of the boat.  I think it's worth the price.  See the postings on FAQ about winter covers.

Roc
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Rose

Last winter three of us purchased winter covers from "The Canvas Store".  We all survived the New England winter just fine.  We store with the mast up.  It's a two pice cover with a zipper access in the stern.  Very well made and the fit for the 34 was perfect.  They are made for your boat.  They have a web site.  www.TheCanvasStore.com  Very good investment, much better than shrink wrap.  I enjoy this discussion group, nice job.

chudave

I still have a "The Canvas Store" winter cover for sale.  It fits a Mark 2 and was used only for a single season.  Email me offline (chudave@sprintmail.com) if your interested.

Dave Chu
MeHa 1342

Tim W

Be sure to check out Fairclough Sailmakers.... I know they are somewhere on the east coast. You should be able to get a cover from them for around $2k. Don't waste time with polytarps or other home made contraptions. I did and I wish I'd just spent bit the bullet and bought a nice one to start with.

Tim Weber, chicago