Prop shaft removal

Previous topic - Next topic

sailon1

I need to replace my prop shaft or at least repair it due to wear at the cutlass bearing area. There doesn't seem to enough room to slide it past the rudder. I have installed previously the newer elliptical rudder, has this created less room? I have checked previous posts and nobody seemed to mention this. Thank you for any help.

Stu Jackson

Joseph

Have you checked the Tech Tips, February 1997 and May 1997?  As a C34IA member, you can get them at Tech Notes Online or on your CD-ROM.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Joseph,
If the cutlass bearing is removed, there will then be enough room to slide the shaft past the rudder.  Can't do it with the bearing in.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Joseph : You should be able to slide the shaft past the rudder - standard or elliptical (as the width is the same).
In your case here's another solution.  Remove the prop and cut the shaft.  Then slide the two pieces out.  Follow the steps that I lay-ed out in the Mainsheet Article and remove the cuttless bearing (hack saw upward & then collapse).  Install a new stainless shaft (check around, but I think the factory is the cheapest for both the shaft & cuttless).  Install the shaft and then install the cuttless.

Measure your old shaft so you know what length to order.  I talked to Gerry Douglass a couple of months ago, about how their "parts dept." was giving out the WRONG info.  Catalina makes their own shafts, so you can order the length you want.  

You might think about a flexible coupling while you've got all that stuff apart.  There have been a number of posts on this BOARD on that topic.  I have a great Vetus tel.(410)712-0740 - no more engine/shaft alignment!   :clap
Ron, Apache #788

sailon1

I want to thank you for the replies on prop shaft removal. After looking at the shaft's condition, being too worn for reuse, I did as suggested and cut it into two pieces for removal. I called to late yesterday to reach Catalina parts dept., but I did check locally. The pricing is $270. for AQ19 and $340. for AQ22. Does anyone know what the "AQ" stands for? My friend is a machinist and said he can certainly make it but doesn't recognize "AQ" designation. Also would any one know the pricing with shipping from Catalina? Thank you again for your help, this website certainly is a priceless resource. :clap

Ron Hill

Joseph : You need to ask the AQ 19 & AQ22 question to the person that gave you that nomenclature!!
Ask Catalina the shipping question, but as I recall mine cost about $12 shipping to Virginia (7 years ago).  
If your guy is a real machinist and can make one for you from stock, just give him your old shaft and add the hack saw cuts difference.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

isabel98

If your in Sayville, just drive to Bossler and Sweezey in Bellport, they'll have everthing in stock..I just got everything, Flange, shaft (SS) packing gland, cutless bearing ands nuts and bolts for 600 cash. :)

Tom Soko

Joe,
The "AQ" designation stands for Aquamet, an alloy used in prop shafts.  AQ19 and AQ22 are two versions of the alloy.  AQ22 is stronger and more corrosion resistant.  More info can be found at:
http://www.rexmar.com/page133.html
Unless your machinist friend works in the marine industry, it's not surprising he hasn't heard the term.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT