Catalina held responsible for bottom inadequacy?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

In doing extensive bottom repairs, Torresen Marine in Muskegon, MI discovered that the very bottom bond on our boat (1990), the spray resin that goes on after the gelcoat and before the layers of fiberglass, was not bonded well by the factory. They have pieces of it that show how shiny it is. Torresen said that sometimes Catalina may have taken responsibility for situations like this. Anyone have experience with this and who to talk to at Catalina?  And the best approach to them. We are die hard Catalina customers. Would never have another boat; this is our second. Does this count for anything?  Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kerk : You can start with Gerry Douglas (VP Catalina Yachts), but I sure that you'll be talking to Frank on this one.  If you don't have a digital camera, you need to get one and get all the pictures you can to document your gripes/findings.  Catalina has a 5 year warren tee on the hull which is usually for blisters, but your's may be structural.  
Call Gerry and let him know your problem and see where it goes from there.  Gerry answers telephone calls better than E or regular mail.  If your message mentions structural integrity, I'm sure he will give you a quick call back.  I've dialed him up after 1700hrs Pacific time and have found him in the office!!  
Good Luck and keep us appraised of the outcome.  Ron
Ron, Apache #788