standing rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

I just finished reading all the links on the replacement of standing rigging.  Jim Cane (I think) seemed to suggest an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Most posts were about older c 34's.  Any thoughts about my dilemma:  Voyager is an 1997 that was in the humid SE until October 04.  I'm now in the NW.  For transportation, all the rigging is off the boat.  I had NW Rigging test all but the forestay (I think they may look at that when they bring the old rigging back, at least I hope so.).  The report came back that there is no damage whatsoever and he recommended as a general rule replace after 12-15 years unless I was going to head off shore to Mexico.  But I am thinking since insurance will pay for reconnecting the rigging and restepping the mast, why not go ahead and replace the rigging now.  If and when I go around Vancouver Island I expect alittle more like offshore conditions.
They are going to prepare me a quote to include a new forestay (which they said is about a days labor in and of itself due to the need to remove the Schaefer roller furler).  The said the turnbuckes all are fine.  So, to replace now or wait 3 to 5 years?
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Stu Jackson

Randy

Seems like you answered your own question. :D

As you had read all of the previous posts, you saw my recommendation.  I would do it now, while it's easy and you won't put it off.  Why not get the "mental insurance" knowing it's new.  Also check with Dave Davis about his stainless material choice (304 vs 316, I think).

We did our '86 rerig in 2003.  Long time.  Now I'm very comfortable.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

That's the way I was leaning before I spoke with the rigging people, but he almost seemed hesitant, saying he's do it now only if I was headed off shore to Mexico.  I asked him to prepare a firm cost sheet and he got back to me yesterday with about $2440. tax included, as well as labor to  do whatever the roller furler needs to have the  new forestay too.  Seemed very reasonable to me, so went ahead and ordered it.  Should be ready in about a week.  Am planning on going over spring break the first week of April with the cushions,and finish the wood work,  wiring, install the new "loncoin" floor in the galley, and maybe if I'm lucky get the mast restepped.

Thanks again,

Randy Thies
Voyager
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa