M35B heat exchanger end cap

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I noticed a crack in the removable end cap of the 3" heat exchanger on my 99 Mk 11 when I took it off to fish zinc bits out of the exchanger. When I got the replacement cap from Westerbeke it was quite different from the original simple flat 3" bronze cap. To start with it was about 1/4" less in diameter and had a ridge all the way around the circumference that  presses into the gasket. My mechanic checked and Westerbeke insists it is the new, improved replacement. I have put it on and there was no leak when I ran it but it seems strange to have an end cap that is smaller than the end of the exchanger body it is bolted into.

Anyone else run into this? Any problems with leaks?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

John : The replacement caps that you get from Sem-Dure are thicker than the replacements that you get from Universal/Westerbeke.  
Wrote that up in the Mainsheet back in 1996/7?.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

adamspe

Hi, Thanks for your post. I have the exact same problem with my 1999 MKII #1451!  I caught the problem by noticing the salt build up on the end cap and small leak (water drops) appearing on the brass fitting for the pencil zinc.
Can you please provide me with the part number for that end cap if you have it on your invoice?
I have to call Transpacific distributor (Arlie) on Monday.  It that were you purchased the replacement? Thanks in advance Paul
adamspe@comcast.net

Ron Hill

Paul : I'm traveling, so I don't have the 800 tel # for Sem-Dure handy. 
Do a search on the message board as this same question has come up a couple of times.  I posted the part #s for the entire kit (end cap, center gasket and cap gasket) along with the separate #s for the gaskets. 
I've also written them up in the Mainsheet Tech Notes !!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."