Ritchie SP5 compass leakage

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy and Mary Davison

My 11 year old Ritchie SP-5 compass leaked all it's mineral spirits last week.  This is a known fault resulting from a poor choice of sealing material at the base of the compass.  The topic was covered in the November 2002 tech notes but hasn't been mentioned since.

I bring it up for two reasons.  First, it seems most, if not all, of these compasses with the bad material will fail sooner or later.  The diaphragm at the bottom of my compass was completely rotten.  It would seem like a good idea to get the diaphragm replaced up front rather than have it happen on a long trip.  New owners of used boats might not be aware of the problem.

Second, the owner of the service company that's going to replace my diaphragm told me that Ritchie is trying to track down and repair these units because of the damage this fault is doing to their reputation.  The repairs are covered under a special extended warrantee.  I don't know how long this material was used or how Ritchie might respond to being asked to repair a "not yet failed" older unit but it might be worth checking out with them.  Perhaps someone on the board has discussed this with them already??
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

Mike Smith

Randy -

I would go directly to Ritchie and ask them.  You can contact them at: http://www.ritchienavigation.com

Mike

Randy and Mary Davison

Thanks Mike - don't need to.  My local service company offered the info and will fix my compass under the warrantee.  I just brought it up for those who might not be aware of the problem and to raise the possibility that Ritchie might be open to proactive, pre-failure repairs.  This as opposed to only offering the warrantee after failure and under duress.
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

Ray & Sandy Erps

Good advice Randy,

I'm going down to the boat this afternoon and plan on checking to see what model my compass is.  Do you have a phone # or email address for the local dealer you used?  I think I'll get the parts on hand and then if I procrastinate, at least I'll have them if it fails.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Randy and Mary Davison

Ray,

Here's the URL:  http://www.islandmarineinst.com/

Bill picks up and delivers at a number of local dealers as indicated on the web site.  I had the best luck calling his cell number.
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

jentine

Several years ago my Ritchie compass leaked just before vacation and the company sent me a new compass (at no charge) and I sent mine when I returned from vacation.  They were most friendly and helpful.  They can be found at:

Ritchie Navigation
243 Oak Street
Pembroke, MA 02359

Phone: 1-781-826-5131
Fax: 1-781-826-7336

or

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/index.html

Jim Kane

Ron Hill

Randy : I also sent mine back to Ritchie.  Give them a call first.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Randy and Mary Davison

Thanks Ron.  The local authorized service center has already done the job with Ritchie picking up the cost.
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe