Replacing Horizon with ST60's holes too big.

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

I am replacing (on the bulkhead) old Horizon instruments with 4" mounting holes with new ST60 instruments with 3 1/2" mounting holes. New mounting screw holes are very close to the cutouts. How do I fill in the extra space so the new instruments have something to grab on to? Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Ron Hill

Kerk : What I'd do is buy yourself a piece of Starboard (a white poly plastic - look in West marine or Defender).  It's 1/2" thick and is easy to work with.  Cut the correct size holes in it and then remount the instrument over the holes that are too large.  Use caulk to seal the poly board to the bulkhead.  You could use teak, but that's more maintenance.  Your wiring should have enough slack for that extra 1/2". Good luck  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

I'll be doing the same thing in the next month,  and as Ron suggests, I'll be using a piece of Starboard as well, but I'm planning on using it on the inside of the bulkhead so that the exterior maintains the original flat surface, while the Starboard backing provides reinforcement from the rear.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Rick Johnson

I had the same problem on my C30.  I bought the ST-60 Flush Mount kit which requires a square hole approx 4.25 x 4.5.  Everything fit well and I decided I liked the flush look better on the bulkhead.  Well worth the cost of the flush mount kit.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

kerk fisher

Thanks for your advice!! Two months away from setting sail. We're excited!! Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com