Wiring in mast

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Bosquet

I need to install a coax wire in my mast as well as the wind indicator cable . Any ideas as how to install these wires while the mast is stepped so that I don't get the noise from these wires hitting the mast.

Paul
C34 Eliosso 986
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Ray & Sandy Erps

On my previous boat, I ran a wire cable up to the top for an anchor light.  I put on a bunch of those plasic wire ties at close intervals with the uncut tails radiating out all directions.  Those uncut tails kind of centered the wire down the center and cut down on wire slap considerably.  Not sure how that would work on our Catalinas with all those ropes running up the mast though.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Howard Armstrong

the very nice person who owned my boat before me, left a messenger line in the conduit running up the mast. check to see if someone has done that for you.

Howard

Ron Hill

Paul : You need to read the article that I wrote on your very question back in the Aug 1995 C34 Mainsheet tech notes.  Did it with the mast up,  no leader and got the wind machine wire in the PVC conduit!!

There is another way if you happen to have another VHF or TV wire already up there.  You didn't mention if you did have one up there.  
You can sacrifice any wire up there (EXCEPT the anchor light wire) to use as a leader and pull the new wires + a replacement wire thru.    :D
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Bosquet

Thank you Ron, will try it
Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986