Cockpit Sole Boards

Previous topic - Next topic

RON SCHERER

The beat goes on. As I continue to make my boat new again I come for help once more. I had the boards in the cockpit professionally stripped and now I get to do the fun part. Can some one tell me what to put on the boards that will give them the NEW look once again? Thanks to all of you--Ron Scherer

Ron Hill

Ron : I assume that your "boards" are teak?  If they are here's what I'd use:
Sand them with #200 grit paper so they are smooth.  Then wipe them down with rubbing alcohol.  Apply 4 coats of Cetol (Marine light) and a final coat of Cetol (Clear).  You might have to sand (very lightly) between coats 1 & 2 if the grain raises.  Read the instructions on the can and you can't go wrong.  
That coating could last many years depending on how much UV sunlight/wear the "boards" get :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Chris

Another suggestion:  When we built Dan Harrington's mahogany sole boards that you can see on the Projects page, I used "Helmsman" by Minwax.  Being a furniture maker by trade, I have found "Helmsman" to be exceptionally well-suited for exterior durability.  On "ChriSea", we have teak cockpit sole boards, and we prefer letting the natural color of the teak show through a clear finish rather than use the tinted "Cetol".  As to the actual finishing, make sure the wood is sanded well before any finish is applied;  use 150 - 180 grit.  I would apply the finish with a foam brush.  Let dry 12 hours, scuff sand (220), apply another coat, dry 12 hours, scuff sand......repeat to 4 coats.  You don't say where you sail, but this should be good for 3 - 4 years on Lake Michigan where we are.
Chris and Ben Holland
ChriSea #832
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

Ken Heyman

Ron. I've used a two part product called " Semco" to strip and clean my teak. I then applied a few coats of Cetol. Last year I used these products on my severely weathered cockpit boards with great results. It's easy to use albeit quite caustic and the Semco can raise the grain of the teak. Much quicker than sanding, however.

---just one more idea.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : When the Semco is flushed off well with water, let it dry.  Then lightly sand as the grain WILL rise from the Semco.  You can also do that light sanding after the first coat of Cetol.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

RON SCHERER

Thanks to all that responded to my question on the refinish job dead ahead. Im looking forward to getting it done so I can move on to something else like sailing. Regards----Ron S.