elliptical rudder in light/moderate wind?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

We have a '90 wing keel and have been reading in tech notes, and forum about the elliptical rudder.  Most talk is of the benefit in 18+ knot winds.  We don't usually cruise in those winds and are more apt to be in light to moderate winds.  Is it worth it for us to modify? Would we notice much difference? Would we notice the heavier rudder?  What is the effect in winds less than 18 knots?  Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Mike Vaccaro

Kerk,

Either rudder design is more than adequate (especially compared to an old-fashioned keel-mounted design).  The newer design is more hydro dynamically efficient, thus providing more rudder volume (hence control effectiveness).  If your rudder ever requires repair or replacement, it may be worth looking into an elliptical rudder, if not the older, medium aspect design is more than adequate.

Of primary concern is the condition of the steering system itself, from the packing on the rudder gland to the condition of quadrant, steering cables, chain and under deck turning pulleys (sheaves).  Areas that tend to wear over time are the bronze pins (bearings) in the sheaves and the rudder cable clamps (which corrode, especially in a salt water environment), and the cable itself.  Edson has great product support and numerous maintenance guides available.  Steering systems seem to be ignored since they are simple and reliable, but the most important thing is to ensure that this critical system works properly--increased efficiency is only a bonus!  

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ron Hill

Kerk : Have you read my article in the Mainsheet (this past Nov.)?  Think I pretty well answered most of your questions by giving my evalution.  

As Mike mentioned and I wrote in the Mainsheet back about 1997? - when was the last time that you checked your idler pullies and made sure that they are turning(not frozen) and the steering cables aren't rubbing/chafing?
Ron, Apache #788

dave davis

The new rudder is 7 inches deeper than the old one. that is OK for a fin keel but for a wing keel like yours, I believe that extra length could be a problem if you went aground.
I don't think you will ever feel the difference in moderate winds. I went for the new shape so that I would have more control in heavy winds while the spinnaker was up.
Good Luck, Dave :roll:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Ron Hill

Guys:
Fin Keel Rudder  -  Look in the Nov 1998 Mainsheet issue of C34 Tech Notes and you'll see an overlay that I published, of the old vrs new rudders for the FIN keel.  The new elliptical fin keel rudder is 7 inches deeper that the old rudder, but has slight addition aft.

Wing Keel Rudder  -  Look at the May 1999 Mainsheet issue of C34 Tech Notes and you'll see an overlay of the old vrs. new rudders for the WING keel.  The new elliptical wing keel rudder has the SAME exact depth as the old wing rudder, but additional surface has been added aft.  As I previously mentioned that addition is about 5.25 inches at the widest point.   :!:
Ron, Apache #788