Autopilot - ST4000

Previous topic - Next topic

nolanjt

I have a 1986 Catalina 34 which did not have an autopilot.  I purchased the ST4000 and now have an autopilot in a box.  Everything seems to be clear, but not sure where others have mounted the compass.  Instructions indicate it should be centered on the bow to stern and port to starboard pivot points.  That does not seem practical in this boat.  Where have others installed their compass for the autopilot?  Has anyone installed the ST4000 (formally Autohelm, now Raymarine)?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Nolan

Stu Jackson

Nolan

Welcome.  A search on this message board for ST4000 will turn up a lot of hits.   Just click on search (above) and type in ST4000, and then the search button.

There have been many issues with ST4000s and some owners have reported particular attention should be paid to the initial settings in addition to the fluxgate compass location.

I recommend that you start your research with the above posts and see if they begin to answer your question, as well as provide you some other insights.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

captran

mine is inside the setee by the holding tank, in the space between the holding tank and where your feet are under the cockpit table.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

sail4dale

put mine in the hanging locker (aft of the nav. station and fwd of the head)on the fwd wall  low.  Seems to work well.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

nolanjt

I posted my question before I had searched.  I guess I thought I was the only one that might want to know.  Anyway, thanks to everyone.   I have heard of mounting in the V berth area all the way back to the stateroom under the cockpit.  My batteries are located in the end seats of the dinette, but it looks like I would have a clear shot if I mount it in the V berth right under the removable drawer.  I am wondering if I am in a pounding situation, if that might affect the compass in a negative manner.  It appears that many are mounted not along the center line.  Apparently they track all right?  I have seen different takes on wiring as well.  I have wires currently running through the pedestal as well as the pedestal guard.  Don't have all the terminology down yet.  Just got this boat in December.

Randy and Mary Davison

A caution...I had to move my st4000 compass when I put in a high output alternator.  It was originally mounted at the top of one of the cross bulkheads in the bilge about a foot from the heavy wiring and shunts in the battery compartment - end of settee seat in front of sink/hot water heater.  Every time the battery started charging at high current the boat would swing to port!  I moved it a few feet forward and all the effects went away.

I would not put it in the bilge as our previous owner did but higher up as mentioned in many previous posts.  We moved it on a long trip as a "temporary" fix and will relocate it "someday".
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe