Florida's Okeechobee Waterway

Previous topic - Next topic

SailDan

Has anyone taken their C-34 across the Okeechobee Waterway in southern Florida?  We have a standard rig with wing keel.

Skipper Bob's book on the Intercoastal Waterway indicated that the limiting depths and mast heights are 6 feet and 49 feet (fixed railway bridge near Port Mayaca) , respectively.  He states that boats with mast up to 55 feet in height can get past the bridge by "leaning the boats" using "barrels" (Say instructions available at Indiantown Marina?).  Has anyone done this? Sounds scary.  Alternative: drop mast at Port Stuart and re-step at Ft. Myers.
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Ken Juul

Read an article about this somewhere.  They swing the boom as far forward as it will go then hang a some weight off the boom end.  This causes the boat to heel, lowering the height of the mast.  The article said the dockmaster at the marina was a pro at it.

As an aside, years ago, the owner of the marina where I kept my C22 in Jacksonville, FL had a big Cape Dory (46?).  They used to do the same thing using crew weight when they participated in the annual fun race on the St John's River from Palatka to Jacksonville .  I thought it was kind of nuts, but I guess it is an accepted practice down south.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Price

I have a friend that has a new 2004/5 C34 that is making his way around FL this spring and plans to cross from Gulf to Atlantic via the lake.  It is true that you can "lean" the boat.  There is guy that has a service to do just that at the bridge.  The only thing you really have to keep up with is the water levels in the lake - could be higher than advertised requiring a much greater "lean".  That is the info I have from others that know the area much better.  I am sure some of the FL boys know the specifics.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

ohana34

Yup, you can do it with your 34, plan on around 100 to the guys that do the leaning.
Alternative is cross at Marathon in the Keys about an extra 3 days.
Call Indian town marina to get the strait dope on cost and railroad bridge draft.
Jim

SailDan

Fantastic... Thanks for the information!
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

paule

Jim,

I see you are in Punta Gorda.  I plan on bringing our C34 down in two years we have a place in Rotonda West.   Can you recommend any good marinas.

We don't know do we ship the boat or sail down from NJ thats why I had to read this post. Had heard about this form someone else and I thought they were pulling my leg.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

karista

We crossed on our c34 a few years ago. You will need to contact the Indian Town Marina and request their service. They will give you the time to be at the bridge and will place the water barrels on your boat, etc., back then the charge was about $100. The antenna still hit the bridge but we made it w/o any problems. Plan on spending the night at the marina, as they scheduled their services for the morning hours.
Bernd Mueller
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

ohana34

Paul
We are rather marina challenged in Charlotte Harbor these days.
From Rotunda West you might check with Palm Island Marina 941 697 4356 or anyplace in Englewood or Venice.  Burnt Store Marina 941 637 0083 is our largest and best but a ways from Rotunda.
Not much help on marinas I'm afraid.
Most folks shop for private docks in our various canal systems for any long term stays.
Local marinas, Fort Myers City marina 239 334 8271, Gasparilla Marina 941 698 1144, South Seas marina 888 777 3625, tween waters 239 472 5161
Haulout and working yards, a whole other matter.
Hope this helps

Jim

paule

Jim,

Thanks for the info I have checked out some of the marina's you mentioned

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947